Moist rich buttery & cinnamony cake & you’ll be seen inhaling the aroma of cinnamon…
Every month I bake a cake, wish I could do more baking though. Baking has turned into therapy for me. There is nothing like the aroma of freshly baked goods that fills the kitchen, it’s pure bliss.
More than me my hubs look forward to the day I bake a cake, he can’t resist the joy he feels while enjoying the warm cake with a cup of coffee.
This cinnamon crumb loaf cake is the first cake I baked in 2023. It’s like a simple coffee cake, with the goodness of cinnamon & brown sugar in it. The best part is while baking the house will be filled with the aroma of cinnamon, it’s just mesmerizing.
Enjoy this cake with a cup of coffee or tea.
- Light brown sugar- ¼ cup
- Ground cinnamon- 1½ tsp
- All-purpose flour- 2 cups
- Baking powder- 1 tsp
- Baking soda- ½ tsp
- Salt- ½ tsp
- Butter, unsalted- ½ cup or 1 stick (at room temperature)
- Granulated white sugar- 1 cup
- Eggs, at room temperature- 2
- Vanilla extract- 1 tsp
- Buttermilk- 1 cup (or mix ½ cup greek yogurt with ½ cup water)
- Preheat the oven to 350 F or 180 C.
- Grease a 9x5x3 loaf pan with butter.
- In a bowl, combine brown sugar & ground cinnamon, keep it aside.
- In a bowl, combine the flour, baking powder, baking soda & salt.
- Butter & eggs must be at room temperature.
- In another bowl, take unsalted butter at room temperature.
- Using an electric hand mixer, beat the butter at high speed for 3 minutes.
- Add granulated white sugar & beat for 3 minutes.
- Add eggs, one at a time & beat well after each addition.
- Add vanilla extract, beat for a minute.
- For making this cake, buttermilk has to be added. If you don't have buttermilk, you can also combine ½ cup greek yogurt with ½ cup water & it works well.
- Add the flour mix in 3 additions alternately with buttermilk in 2 additions; starting & ending with flour.
- Beat at low speed until well incorporated. Don't overbeat the cake batter.
- Using a silicone spatula, combine the batter well.
- Pour half of the cake batter into the greased loaf pan. Smoothen the top using an offset spatula.
- Spread half of the brown sugar-cinnamon over the cake batter.
- Pour the remaining cake batter over the brown sugar-cinnamon topping, smoothen the top of the cake batter.
- Spread the brown sugar-cinnamon over the cake batter.
- Place the loaf pan into the preheated oven on the middle rack.
- Bake for 55 minutes, or until a toothpick or fork inserted into the center of the cake comes out clean.
- While baking, your house will be filled with the aroma of cinnamon, just take deep breaths in.
- Let the cake cool down for 10 minutes.
- Take the cake out of the pan & place on a platter.
- Using a serrated knife, slice the cake.
- This cake can be enjoyed warm along with a cup of coffee or tea.
- Leftover cake can be refrigerated for a few days or keep in the freezer for a month.