Chinese green onion or scallion pancakes, crispy and delicious…
Who wants to try Chinese pancakes??? I have to tell you that these are absolutely delicious, it’s crispy and the green onions impart a nice aroma and flavor to these pancakes. Well, these are totally different from the American pancakes, but are quite similar to South Indian parotta. However, unlike South Indian parottas these are pretty easy to make.
Recently, I’d tasted these pancakes at a Chinese restaurant, I instantly fell in love with it. Since then, making these pancake was on my top to do list. Last weekend, I finally made these and happily checked it off from my list.
It’s not that hard to make this: it’s all about kneading the dough, rolling the dough into thin round shape, making into coils, again rolling the coils into round shape and then shallow frying it.
These pancakes must be served warm, it will be crispy and delicious.
Roll the dough ball into thin round shape
Make into a cylinder and then into a coil
Roll the coil into a round shape
Shallow fry in oil
- All purpose flour- 1½ cups
- Salt- ¼ tsp
- Hot water- ½ cup
- Green onions or scallions- 3, chopped small (use only the green part)
- Sesame oil- 2 to 3 tbsp (or use vegetable oil)
- Vegetable oil- for shallow frying
- In a bowl, combine the flour, salt and green onions.
- Slowly add hot water and knead well for 10 minutes to a smooth and soft dough.
- Cover the dough with a damp cloth and let rest for 30 minutes.
- Make medium sized 8 balls out of the dough. Roll the balls till smooth in between your palms.
- Use a clean flat surface or wooden cutting board to roll the dough balls.
- Grease the flat surface or cutting board with non-stick cooking spray.
- Place the dough ball on the surface, using a rolling pin roll into a thin round shape. If it gets sticky, dust some flour and roll.
- Brush the rolled dough with some sesame oil.
- Roll the dough into a cylinder and then make into a coil.
- Roll the coiled dough into a round shape.
- Heat a non-stick pan over medium heat, add 3 to 4 tbsp vegetable oil for shallow frying.
- Place the rolled dough onto the oil, shallow fry till both sides turn golden in color and crispy.
- Place the pancake on a kitchen paper towel, let the paper absorb the oil.
- Serve immediately when the pancake is still warm, it will be crispy.
- This can be eaten as it is or can be served with your favorite curry.