Chicken masala wrapped in a dough, made into a gift box and fried till crispy, perfect snack to munch on…
The recipe for making the meat box with beef was shared by one of my readers last year, here is the recipe: meat box recipe. The recipe resembles to making samosa. However, I was impressed by how it’s made into a gift box and then fried. If you want to make something fancy to impress your guests or for a party, this will make a really fancy appetizer.
I used the chicken masala that I usually make for stuffing samosas. Also, I used both wheat and white flour to make the dough. For making the ribbon, I dyed the dough with green as I only had that colour in my pantry. You could use any colour of your choice, red would look really good. On the center of the ribbons I placed a star, you can use any shapes: heart shapes, flowers etc.
Here is the picture shared by my reader: Loved the red ribbons and the heart shape.
It was fun making this chicken gift box, you could have your kids dye the dough and wrap the ribbons, they are going to love it.
The outside was crispy and the chicken masala tasted delicious…
Recipe courtesy: Nawal Althuaf
Rolling the dough
Place the chicken masala on the center of the dough
Make coloured ribbons
Make shapes of your choice using a cookie/shape cutter
Fold the chicken stuffed dough
Wrap with ribbons
Place the shape on the center of the ribbons
Chicken gift box is ready to be fried
Frying in oil
Pretty and crunchy chicken gift box is ready to devour
- Chicken Breasts, diced small- 1
- Chili powder- 1 tsp
- Turmeric powder- ⅛ tsp
- Coriander powder- 1 tsp
- Garam masala- ¼ tsp
- Salt- to taste
- Oil- 1 tbsp
- Onion, chopped small- 2
- Ginger-garlic paste- ½ tbsp
- Green chili, chopped- 1 or 2
- Garam masala- ½ tsp
- Salt- to taste
- Cilantro, chopped- 2 handfuls
- Wheat flour or Atta- ½ cup
- All purpose flour- ½ cup
- Water- ¼ cup + 2 tbsp
- Oil- 2 tsp
- Salt- to taste
- Any food colour of your choice- to colour the ribbon and the star or heart shapes
- Combine the chicken with all the ingredients mentioned 'for marinating chicken'.
- Place a saucepan over medium heat, add the chicken to the pan and cook covered till chicken has cooked well and the water has dried off. Let cool down and shred the chicken using your hands or a wooden spoon. Keep aside.
- Place a pan over medium heat, add oil.
- Add chopped onion, season with salt and cook till translucent.
- Add ginger-garlic paste and green chilies, combine well and cook till onions turn golden brown.
- Add the cooked and shredded chicken along with garam masala, combine well.
- Taste and add more salt if needed.
- Add chopped cilantro, mix well and cook for a few seconds.
- Remove the pan from the heat and keep covered.
- In a large bowl, combine the wheat flour, all purpose flour and salt.
- Add water little by little and knead it to a soft dough.
- Add oil over the kneaded dough and combine well. Keep aside for 5 minutes.
- Make small balls out of the dough.
- To a couple of the balls, add the colour of your choice and knead well till the dough is evenly coloured.
- Roll the coloured dough on a wooden board to a thin round shape, dust with flour while rolling to prevent from sticking.
- Using a sharp knife, cut into long strips or ribbons of equal lengths, keep aside.
- For making shapes: use small heart shaped or star or flower shaped cookie cutters. Press the cutters on the coloured dough and make the shapes. Keep aside.
- Roll the other dough balls into medium sized round shapes.
- Place the chicken masala on the center of the dough.
- Fold both the sides and then the ends, use little water to glue them. It will resemble to a square shaped box.
- Wrap the box with the 2 coloured ribbons: vertically and horizontally. Use little water to glue the ribbons.
- Place the heart shape or star or flower on the center where the 2 ribbons meet, use little water to glue the shape on the ribbons.
- Heat a frying pan over medium heat, add enough oil to fry, let the oil turn hot.
- Place the chicken gift box into the oil and deep fry till both the sides turn golden in colour.
- Transfer to a paper towel.
- Serve warm with tomato ketchup or any sauce of your choice.