Hearty ground chicken and couscous soup, it’s more like chili soup, perfect on a cold winter day…
As winter arrives, I make more soups and a bowl of any warm soup would make me feel cozy. Every time I make soup, I tend to add different ingredients, spices, veggies etc. I just can’t resist that temptation.
The other day, I started making chicken chili soup, as the cooking progressed I deviated from the original chili recipe and ended up adding couscous to the soup. Now, that turned into a different kind of soup. I loved the addition of couscous to this soup, it was perfect by itself for lunch and dinner- it’s filling and makes you feel comfy too.
Making chicken couscous soup
- Oil- 2 tbsp
- Onion, chopped- 1
- Ground pepper- ½ tsp
- Ground chicken- 1 lb or ½ Kg
- Green pepper, cubed small- 1
- Tomatoes, chopped- 2
- Red Kidney beans- 1 can
- Tomato sauce, low-sodium- 400 ml or 1½ cups
- Water- 2 cups
- Ground Cumin- 1½ tsp
- Chili powder- 1 tsp (add more if needed)
- Cilantro, chopped- ¼ cup
- Cooked Couscous- 1 cup
- Salt- to taste
- To cook couscous: Boil 1¼ cups water in a saucepan, when the water comes to a boil, add 1 cup couscous, cover the pan and remove the pan from the heat. Let stand for 5 minutes and the couscous will get cooked. Keep aside the cooked couscous.
- Place a large pan over medium heat, add oil.
- Add onion, season with salt and ground pepper, saute for a few minutes.
- Add ground chicken, combine well and break any lumps that's formed. Cook for a few minutes till the pink color disappears.
- Add green pepper and tomatoes, cook for a couple of minutes.
- Add red kidney beans, tomato sauce and water.
- Season with ground cumin, chili powder and salt.
- Cover the pan and cook for 10 to 15 minutes till the ground chicken has cooked well.
- Add cilantro, combine well.
- Finally, add 1 cup cooked couscous, combine well.
- Cook for a minute and remove the pan from the heat.
- if the soup is too thick, add water to thin down.
- Taste and add more salt or more chili powder for spice.
- Serve in soup bowls and enjoy, you could have pita bread or bread along with this.