Bottle gourd cooked in coconut milk…
Bottle gourd is widely grown in Tropical places. It is used for making a variety of savoury or sweet dishes in India. In Kerala, thoran and pachadi are made using bottle gourd. This was the first time I made something out of bottle gourd and I made a stew out of it.
The taste of bottle gourd is quite similar to cucumber and has a high water content. You can add the fresh cut bottle gourd to salads, also it can be juiced. It has a lot of health benefits, so start including this vegetable into your diet.
I cooked the bottle gourd in coconut milk just like we make potato stew in Kerala. This is a very simple dish, tastes delicious, can be served with roti or rice.
Bottle Gourd or Lauki Stew
Recipe type: Main
- Oil- 2 tbsp
- Mustard seeds- 1 tsp
- Ginger, chopped- 1 inch slice
- Garlic, chopped- 2 cloves
- Green chilies, chopped-2
- Curry leaves- 1 sprig
- Onion, chopped-1
- Bottle gourd, diced- 1
- Water- ½ cup
- Coriander powder- 1 tsp
- Garam masala- ½ tsp
- Coconut milk- ¾ cup
- Ground pepper- ¼ tsp
- Salt- to taste
- Peel the skin off the bottle gourd, half it, remove the seeds from inside and cut the bottle gourd into cubes.
- Place a saucepan over medium heat. Add oil.
- Add mustard seeds, let it splutter.
- Add Ginger, garlic and chilies, saute till ginger/garlic turns light golden.
- Add curry leaves.
- Add chopped onion, season with salt and saute till translucent.
- Add cubed bottle gourd and water.
- Cook covered till it has turned slightly tender. Do not over cook the bottle gourd.
- Add coriander powder, garam masala and salt to taste, combine well.
- Add coconut milk and cook covered for a few minutes.
- Add ground pepper, combine well and cook for a minute.
- Taste and add more salt if needed.
- Remove the pan from the heat, serve with roti or rice.