Whole spices roasted and ground to a paste and cooked with beef, aromatic and delicious…
Beef Roast Made with Roasted Whole Spices
Recipe type: Main
For cooking Beef
- Oil- 2 tbsp
- Beef, stew cut diced- ½ Kg or 1 lb (or use mutton)
- Turmeric powder- ¼ tsp
- Ginger-Garlic paste- 1 tbsp
- Water- 1 cup
- Salt- ¾ tsp
For roasting whole spices
- Whole dry red chilies- 3
- Coriander seeds- 1½ tbsp
- Whole peppercorns- 1 tsp
- Cumin seeds- ¾ tsp
- Fennel seeds- 2 tsp
- Whole cardamom- 2
- Whole cloves- 2
- Whole cinnamon- 2 inch slice
- Star Anise- 1
For making paste
- Ginger- 1 inch slice
- Garlic- 1, clove
- Tomatoes, diced- 2
- Cilantro, chopped- 2 handfuls
- Water- ½ cup
For stir frying beef
- Ghee- 2 tbsp
- Yogurt- ¼ cup
- Beef broth or liquid that's left after cooking beef- ½ cup
- Curry leaves- 1 sprig
- Lemon juice- 1 tbsp
- Salt- ½ to ¾ tsp
- Place a pressure cooker over medium heat, add oil.
- Add diced beef along with turmeric powder, ginger-garlic paste, salt and water. Combine well.
- Cover the cooker with its lid and place the whistle.
- Cook for 25 minutes or till 3 whistles.
- Let the pressure subside and open the lid, save ½ cup of the liquid in the cooker or the beef broth.
- Keep aside the cooked beef.
Roasting whole spices
- Place a pan over medium heat, add all the ingredients mentioned 'for roasting whole spices'.
- Roast for 3 minutes till aromatic. Do not burn the spices.
- Let the spices cool down a bit.
- Into a blender, add the roasted whole spices, ginger, garlic, tomatoes, cilantro and water. Grind to a smooth paste.
- Place a large non-stick pan over medium heat, add ghee.
- Add the ground paste, rinse the blender with 2 tbsp water and add to the pan. Combine well and cook for a couple of minutes.
- Add yogurt, combine well.
- Add beef broth, combine well and cook over high heat till liquid has thickened.
- Add ½ to ¾ tsp salt.
- Add the cooked beef into the gravy, stir fry over high heat.
- Add curry leaves and combine well.
- Stir fry beef over high heat till all the liquid has dried off and the beef turns light brown.
- Drizzle lemon juice over the beef and stir fry for a minute.
- Remove the pan from the heat and keep aside covered for a few minutes.
- Serve this along poori, chapati or rice.