Asian rice bowl with soy chicken- my healthy week day lunch…
Week days are all about easy breezy and healthy meals. When I pack lunch to work I want to keep it simple and healthy. This Asian rice bowl fits my week day lunch criteria. I make this quite often with different veggies, sauces and chicken seasoned with different seasoning, it’s never boring!!!
Asian Rice Bowl
Recipe type: Main
For cooking Chicken
- Chicken breasts, cut into wedges- 2
- Soy sauce- 2 tbsp
- Hoisin sauce- 2 tbsp
- Rice Vinegar- ½ tbsp
- Sambal Oelek or chili paste- 1 tsp
- Cooked Brown Rice- 1 cup/bowl
- Shredded Carrot- 2
- Cucumber, diced- 1
- Boiled green peas- 1 cup (or use Edamame)
- Tomato, diced- 1
- Green onions, chopped- 1 stalk
- Cilantro, chopped- 1 handful/bowl
- Fried crispy noodles (optional)- 1 handful/bowl
- Sesame seeds- ½ tbsp/bowl
- Lemon juice- 1 tsp/bowl
- Soy sauce or any other Asian sauce- 1 to 2 tbsp to drizzle over the rice bowl
- In a saucepan, combine chicken along with soy sauce, hoisin sauce, rice vinegar and sambal oelek. Cook covered till chicken has cooked well and the water that oozed out of the chicken has dried off. Stir fry till chicken turns light brown. Keep aside the chicken.
- Have all the other veggies and brown rice ready.
- In a bowl, place some cooked chicken, rice, all the veggies.
- Drizzle lemon juice and pour soy sauce or any other asian sauce over the chicken, rice and veggies.
- Garnish with fried crispy noodles, green onions, cilantro and sesame seeds.
- Serve and enjoy this healthy Asian rice bowl for lunch.
- If you are packing this for lunch, pack the chicken, rice and veggies separately so that you can microwave the chicken and rice before having this.
Other veggies you could use- Avocado, Edamame, Broccoli, Red/Green peppers etc