Fresh-picked green apples turned into a delicious pulissery, Kerala specialty vegetarian dish…
One of the fun activities I look forward to in September is apple picking. There are many apple orchards close to my house. It’s pure bliss picking the fresh apples right from the trees, enjoying the fresh apples & cooking with them.
The apples taste incredibly crisp & delish. I turned the green apples into a lip-smacking vegetarian dish-pulissery. Apples cooked in coconut & yogurt. I must say this is one of the best-tasting pulissery. The slight tart & sweet green apples along with the nutty coconut & tangy yogurt, this pulissery tasted beyond delicious. I just gobbled up this pulissery with rice.
Plantain Pulissery Recipe, Click Here
Other Pulissery Recipes, Click Here
Apple Pulissery | Apples Cooked in Coconut Yogurt | Kerala Vegetarian Recipe
Recipe type: Side dish
Serves: 5 people
- Green Apples, diced- 3
- Turmeric powder- ¼ tsp
- Chili powder- 1 tsp
- Salt- 1½ tsp
- Water- ¼ cup
- Coconut grated- 1 cup
- Green chilies- 2
- Cumin seeds- ½ tsp
- Water- ¼ cup
- Yogurt or Curd- 1 cup
- Mustard seeds- 1 tsp
- Whole red chilies- 2
- Curry leaves- 1 sprig
- Coconut Oil- 2 tbsp
- Grind all the above-mentioned ingredients ‘to grind’ in a blender to a coarsely smooth paste.
- Use green apples or any not-so-sweet variety.
- In a saucepan, combine diced apples with chili powder, turmeric powder, salt, and water.
- Cook covered for 5 minutes till the apples turn soft. Do not overcook the apples & let them turn mushy.
- Add the ground coconut paste to the cooked apples, combine well & cook for 5 minutes until the raw smell of the coconut goes away.
- Take the yogurt in a small bowl & beat well using a spoon.
- Lower the heat and add the beaten yogurt/curd to the above mixture stirring constantly.
- Mix everything gently for a minute and remove the pan from the heat. Don’t let the yogurt mixture come to a boil, it can curdle.
- Place a frying pan over medium heat, add coconut oil.
- Let oil turn hot, add mustard seeds, let it splutter.
- Add whole red chilies and curry leaves, saute for a few seconds and remove the pan from the heat.
- Immediately, add the above seasoning to the apple pulissery.
- Close the saucepan with the lid & keep covered for a few minutes.
- Enjoy as a side dish along with rice. Tastes absolutely delish.