Rich, creamy & delicious pumpkin pudding with caramel sauce…
Fall has arrived and with it, the pumpkin season. I went to the pumpkin patch close to my house & picked up a few pumpkins. For making the pumpkin, I’ve picked a small sugar pumpkin, it’s sweet & great for making pies, bread & dessert.
Sharing fall decor on my porch
This pudding is made with just 4 simple ingredients. As a thickening agent for puddings, I always use agar-agar. Agar-Agar is 100% vegetarian, it’s actually a seaweed & a great vegetarian substitute for gelatin. I use agar-agar strands, have to be dissolved in water & then add to the pudding mixture.
I’ve also added caramel sauce as the bottom layer, this has enhanced the taste of this pudding greatly.
Make this pudding & let’s welcome Fall!
- Pumpkin, diced- 3 cups (use small sugar pumpkin)
- Water- ½ cup
- Milk- 2 cups (2% or whole milk)
- Sweetened condensed milk- 4 tbsp
- Agar-Agar strands- ½ cup of 2-inch cut strands dissolved in ½ cup water
- Sugar- 1½ cups
- In a saucepan, combine diced pumpkins with water, cook covered for a few minutes till the pumpkins turn soft.
- Using a wooden spoon, mash the cooked pumpkin without any lumps. Or puree in a blender.
- There will be 1½ cups pureed pumpkin.
- If using agar-agar strands, cut into 2 inches long & take ½ cup.
- Add agar-agar strands to a saucepan along with water.
- Cook over medium heat till agar-agar strands have dissolved in water.
- If using powdered agar-agar, combine 1 tbsp in 3 tbsp water.
- Agar-agar can be replaced with gelatin- sprinkle 1 tbsp gelatin over 3 tbsp water, soak for 5 minutes.
- In another saucepan, combine milk & condensed milk.
- Let the milk come to a slight boil.
- Add the pureed pumpkin, combine well.
- Add the dissolved agar-agar, combine well.
- Remove the saucepan from the heat. Keep aside.
- Making the caramel sauce using dry method: add 1½ cups sugar to a saucepan, cook over medium heat.
- Do not add water.
- Let the sugar melt, and in a few minutes, sugar will start to caramelize. Let it turn golden brown in color.
- Have ramekins, dessert bowls or shot glasses ready.
- Immediately pour 2 tbsp caramel sauce as the bottom layer onto the ramekins or dessert bowls.
- Caramel sauce will thicken right away.
- Over the caramel sauce, pour the pumpkin pudding mixture.
- Chill in the refrigerator & let set for 2 hours.
- Enjoy this rich & creamy pudding with the caramel sauce. YUM!