Delicious Kerala-style potato stew cooked in the Instant Pot…
Potato stew or Ishtu is a popular Kerala dish, served with appam or idiyappam for breakfast. This is a simple humble yet delectable dish, made with just 6 simple ingredients. In the Instant Pot, it’s effortless to make this stew. Potatoes are pressure cooked in thin coconut milk for just 3 minutes in the Instant Pot and then thick coconut milk is added.
Rich, creamy & aromatic potato stew.
- Potatoes, diced- 4, medium sized or 3 large
- Onion, chopped- 1
- Fresh ginger, chopped- 1 inch slice
- Green chilies, halved- 2 to 4
- Curry leaves- 1 sprig
- Thin coconut milk- 1 cup
- Water- ½ cup
- Thick coconut milk- ½ cup
- Salt- 1 tsp
- Sugar- 2 pinches
- Coconut oil- 1 tbsp
- Use 4 medium sized potatoes or 3 large sized potatoes. Dice the potatoes.
- To the stainless steel pot, add potatoes, onion chopped, ginger, green chilies, curry leaves, thin coconut milk, water & ½ tsp salt.
- Green chilies can be added based on your spice level.
- For making this stew, chili powder or ground black pepper are not added.
- If using canned coconut milk, if it's thick add some water to thin it down.
- Close the pot with the lid.
- Select pressure cook setting, set the time to 5 minutes at high pressure.
- After 5 minutes of pressure cooking, let the pressure release naturally for 5 minutes & then do a quick pressure release.
- Open the lid.
- The aorma from this stew is just mesmerizing.
- The potatoes will be fork tender.
- Turn on saute setting at medium temperature.
- Using the back of the spoon mash a few potatoes. the stew will have a nice creamy texture.
- Now, add the thick coconut milk, combine well.
- Add ½ tsp salt & sugar, combine well.
- Cook for 2 minutes, after adding thick coconut milk don't cook for long.
- Finally, drizzle coconut oil over the stew.
- Take the pot out of the main pot & keep it covered for a few minutes.
- Serve in a bowl & enjoy with appam or idiyappam.