A bowl of this soup is so comforting and is made with healthy ingredients…
I am back home after a getaway trip. I’d been eating out for the past 3 days. I love dining at restaurants and trying different food, however after a couple of days I will start craving for home cooked and healthy food. Though I was a bit exhausted, I still managed to cook a healthy and comforting dinner.
The weather has started getting better, it was unbelievably windy today but warm. In the evening, I spent some time outside enjoying the breeze and the sunshine. After that, I felt like sipping a bowl of warm soup, so made this swiss chard and red lentil soup. I love adding red lentil to most of my soups as it adds texture to the soup, also it cooks fast. I had a bunch of red swiss chard in my refrigerator, hence I combined swiss chard along with the red lentil. It turned out to be a very comforting, healthy and tasty soup…
Cooking swiss chard and red lentil
- Oil- 1 tbsp
- Ginger, minced- 2 inch slice
- Dry red chili flakes- ½ tsp
- Onion, chopped- 1
- Red lentil- 1 cup
- Chicken stock or vegetable stock- 2 cups (use low-sodium)
- Red Swiss chard, chopped very small- ½ bunch ( I chopped it in a food processor)
- Ground cumin- ¾ tsp
- Garam masala- ½ tsp
- Coriander powder- 1 tsp
- Ground pepper- ⅛ tsp
- Salt- more if needed
- Water- 2 cups
- Place a soup pan or a large saucepan over medium heat, add oil.
- Add minced ginger, saute for a few seconds.
- Add red chili flakes, saute for a couple of seconds.
- Add onion, season with salt and saute till onions turn translucent.
- Add red lentil and chicken stock, cook covered till lentils are partially cooked.
- I chopped the swiss chard in a food processor, hence it was finely chopped.
- Add the chopped swiss chard to the lentils.
- Add ground cumin, garam masala, coriander powder and ground pepper, combine well.
- Add 2 cups of water and cook covered for a few minutes till the lentils and the swiss chard have cooked.
- Taste and add more salt if needed.
- Remove the pan from the heat and let cool down.
- Using a hand blender coarsely puree the soup to a thick constituency. Or puree in a blender.
- Serve to a soup bowl and enjoy this healthy soup.