One of my favorite easy to make desserts that I make often when I get the sweet craving is sweetened vermicelli or payasam…
The other day when I made this dessert, I topped the sweetened vermicelli with praline pecans or pecans combined with brown sugar and butter. The crunchy and caramelized pecans made this simple dessert taste even more delicious.
Update on Ontario weather: Look what’s happening in my place, we are supposed to have Spring. Looks like winter couldn’t say goodbye to us, and so it’s back with a bang. Yesterday, Greenland turned into a Whiteland in the blink of an eye. I am a snow freak, so I’m enjoying this unexpected snow showers.
Roasted thin vermicelli- This vermicelli is very thin, tastes good and cooks faster.
- Thin Roasted Vermicelli, cut into 2 inch slice- 1 cup
- Milk- 2 cups
- Saffron, soaked in milk- 2 pinches
- Honey- 3 to 4 tbsp (or add condensed milk)
- Ghee or Unsalted Butter- ½ tbsp
- Pecans- 2 tbsp
- Brown sugar- 3 tbsp
- Butter, unsalted- ½ tbsp
- Milk or cream or water- 1 tbsp
- Use thin roasted vermicelli for making this dessert, available at most Indian stores.
- Add the saffron to the milk and soak for 5 minutes.
- Place a saucepan over medium heat, add ghee, let it melt.
- Break the vermicelli roughly about 2 inch long using your hands.
- Add the vermicelli to the ghee and roast for a couple of minutes.
- Add the milk along with the saffron, combine well.
- Add honey, around 3 to 4 tbsp according to your sweet level. Combine well.
- Let cook over medium heat for 5 to 7 minutes till the vermicelli turns soft.
- After the vermicelli has turned soft, remove the pan from the heat and let cool down.
- You could serve the sweetened vermicelli slightly warm or chilled.
- This recipe is for topping 2 bowls of sweetened vermicelli, if making for more than 2 people increase the ingredients accordingly.
- Place a small pan over medium heat, add brown sugar, butter and milk/cream or water. Combine well, let the brown sugar melt.
- Add the pecans and combine well. Keep stirring for a few seconds till the mixture has thickened.
- Immediately transfer the praline pecans to a plate lined with parchment paper, else it will stick to the pan. Let cool down for a few minutes.
- Top the sweetened vermicelli with the praline pecans and enjoy.
Praline Pecans- tastes so delicious by itself, you could make more and enjoy as a snack.