You get to enjoy sweetness, spiciness and sourness in this dish…
This is more like a pickle, can be served as a side dish along with biryani or plain rice or with chapati.
Sweet and Sour Eggplant or Eggplant Pickle
Recipe type: Side dish
Serves: 5 People
- Oil- 2 tbsp
- Mustard seeds- 1 tsp
- Dry red whole chili-2
- Small onions, chopped- 6
- Green chilies, halved- 4
- Curry leaves- 1 sprig
- Eggplant, cubed- 7, small eggplants
- Tamarind juice- ¼ cup (soak 2 inch fresh tamarind in ¼ cup warm water)
- Jaggery, grated- 1 tsp
- Chili powder- ½ tsp
- Salt- to taste
- Soak fresh tamarind in warm water for 3 minutes, squeeze the tamarind in water and strain the juice. Discard the skin.
- Heat a pan over medium heat, add oil, let it turn hot.
- Add mustard seeds, let it splutter.
- Add dry red chili, saute for a few seconds.
- Add small onions, green chilies, curry leaves and salt, saute till onions turn translucent.
- Add eggplant, cook covered till it turns tender.
- Add tamarind juice, combine well.
- Add jaggery, combine well.
- Add chili powder, combine well.
- Cook for some more time till eggplant has cooked well.
- Have a taste and add more salt for taste.
- Remove from the heat, let cool down and serve in a bowl.