Squid, one of the seafood delicacies…
I couldn’t wait till Spring to start my garden. I love tulips and got excited seeing different colored tulips at a nearby store. I picked this beautiful tulip and kept it in my living room. Finally, spring has sprung in my house. Flowers never fail to put that vibrant smile on my face.
Squid is also known as calamari, if I see fried calamari on the menu while dining in a restaurant I just dive for it. I love squid cooked in any way. Fried squid, squid roast or stuffed squid; I love them all. One of the dishes that’s quite popular in Kerala is squid roast. Spicy squid roast is definitely a delicacy. Whenever I buy squid I either fry it or make this roast.
For more squid recipes, click here.
Cooking squid roast
- Squid tubes, cut into rounds- 5
- Chili powder- ½ tsp
- Turmeric powder- ⅛ tsp
- Salt- to taste
- Oil- 1½ tbsp
- Mustard seeds- 1 tsp
- Red dry chili, whole- 2
- Curry leaves- 1 sprig
- Onion, cut long and thin- 2
- Ginger-Garlic paste- ½ tbsp
- Tomato, chopped- 2
- Kashmiri chili powder- 1 tsp
- Coriander powder- 1 tsp
- Fennel powder- 1 tsp (optional)
- Garam masala- ½ tsp
- Salt- to taste
- Cilantro, chopped- 2 handfuls
- Cut the cleaned squids into rounds, use the tentacles as well. It's better to get the pre-cleaned squids.
- Marinate the cut squids with the above mentioned ingredients "to marinate squid".
- Cook covered in a saucepan for 10 minutes. Keep aside the cooked squid along with any liquid in the pan.
- Place a saucepan over medium heat, add oil.
- Add mustard seeds, let it splutter.
- Add dry red chili and curry leaves, saute for a few seconds.
- Add onions, and sprinkle salt over it. Cook covered till the onions turn translucent.
- Add ginger-garlic paste, saute and cook till onions turn golden brown in color.
- Add chopped tomatoes, cook till they are mashed up.
- Add chili powder, coriander powder, fennel powder, garam masala and salt. Combine well and cook for a minute.
- Add the cooked squid along with any liquid from the cooked squid.
- Combine well and cook covered for 15 minutes or till the squid has cooked well.
- Open the lid and stir fry till all the liquid dries off.
- Add cilantro and cook for a few seconds.
- Taste and add more salt if needed.
- Remove the pan from the heat and keep covered.
- Serve with rice or roti.