Healthy and hearty soup that has the goodness of barley…
If you haven’t tried barley yet, it’s high time you include barley into your diet so that you can benefit from this amazing cereal grain. It has remarkable health benefits: high in fibre, lower the risk of type 2 Diabetes, fights against breast cancer and many more.
One of the ingredients in Haleem is barley which is added along with wheat and other lentils. Barley is added commonly in salads and also while making stews. The other day, I made a soup with barley and squash. This soup is one of the healthiest soups and tasted delicious too.
- Oil- 1 tbsp
- Whole cardamom-2
- Bay leaf-1
- Squash, diced-2 cups
- Barley, rinsed- ½ cup
- Red lentil- ¼ cup
- Coriander powder- 1½ tsp
- Kashmiri Red chili powder-1 tsp
- Ground Cumin- ½ tsp
- Dried Oregano- 1 tsp
- Dried Basil- 1 tsp
- Ground pepper- 1 tsp
- Water- 3 cups (or add chicken stock)
- Fried onion- ½ cup
- Salt- to taste
- Place a pressure cooker over medium heat. Add oil.
- Add whole cardamoms and bay leaf.
- Add diced squash, saute for a few minutes.
- Add barley and red lentil.
- Add coriander powder, chili powder, ground cumin, dried oregano, dried basil, ground pepper and salt. Combine well.
- Add water (or chicken stock), close the cooker and cook for 3 to 4 whistles.
- After the pressure subsides, open the cooker.
- Combine the cooked squash and barley.
- If the soup is thick, add enough water to thin it down.
- Add fried onion, combine well and cook for a few minutes.
- Have a taste and add salt if needed.
- Serve the soup warm and enjoy.