Creamy, silky and delicious curry…
I made this shrimp and scallops malai for tonight’s dinner. It was incredibly delicious that I couldn’t wait any longer to share the recipe with you all. Delicious would be an understatement. I am in need of a new word to describe this silky, creamy dish. How about if I say it’s incredibilicious??? I feel better now. Anything that has shrimp and scallops are my favorites even if it doesn’t taste that delicious, I can handle just the taste of shrimp and scallops. Now, if it tastes delicious and if it has shrimp and scallops; I will get greedy and wild and what not…
I didn’t come up with this recipe nor I had any intentions to make shrimp malai for dinner. It all happened in the blink of an eye. I was browsing through some youtube videos and bumped into Vahchef’s video for making shrimp malai. I had everything to make that recipe and it was one heck of an easy recipe. I couldn’t wait, I just gave it a shot. Also, I had scallops in my freezer so I added that as well. It turned out to be a terrific dish. I served this with risotto, but it goes well with almost anything: rotis, naan, pasta etc etc.
“Malai” is a hindi word which means “cream”. Usually, cream is added for making malai dishes, but in this one coconut milk is added that’s what I liked the most. A terrificly incredibilicious dish that will make your taste buds go wild n wild.
Step By Step Pictures
Sautéing shrimp and Scallops
Making the creamy sauce
Adding cooked shrimp and scallops to the sauce
Recipe Courtesy: Vahchef ( made some changes to the measurements)
- Shrimp, deveined- 10 medium
- Scallops- 6
- Turmeric powder- ¼ tsp
- Salt- to taste
- Butter- 1 tbsp
- Cumin seeds- 1 tsp
- Onion paste- 4 tbsp
- Ginger-garlic paste- ½ tbsp
- Dried red chili flakes- 1 tsp
- Tomato paste- 2 tbsp
- Mustard paste- 1 tsp
- Green chilies-, chopped- 2
- Coconut milk- 1 cup
- Garam masala- 1 tsp
- Combine shrimp and scallops with turmeric powder and salt. Keep aside for a few minutes.
- Place a pan over medium heat, add butter and let it melt.
- Place the shrimp and scallops over the butter, cook till it's slightly cooked through. keep aside.
- Grind one small chopped onions in a blender and make into a smooth paste.
- Use the same pan, add cumin seeds, saute for a few seconds.
- Add 4 tbsp of the onion paste, saute for a few minutes till the raw smell goes away.
- Add ginger-garlic paste, saute for a few more minutes.
- Add tomato paste, saute well.
- Add mustard paste or ground mustard, saute for a minute.
- Add green chilies, salt and a pinch of sugar, saute for a couple of minutes.
- Add the coconut milk, combine well and let it come to a slight boil.
- Add cooked shrimp and scallops, combine well and cook for a few minutes.
- Add garam masala, combine well.
- Switch off the heat and keep the pan covered for a few minutes.
- Serve with rice, naan, roti, chapati etc
- This dish doesn't have much gravy, it's a thick creamy dish.