Leftover chicken got an awesome makeover: shredded chicken sandwich…
Shredded chicken sandwich similar to sloppy joe; while sloppy joe is made with ground beef I made my version with shredded chicken. Had lunch at Nandos restaurant and enjoyed grilled chicken, peri peri fries and rice. My order was 1/2 chicken so had to box the grilled chicken breast, on my mind no cooking for dinner.
However, for dinner, I was in the mood to make something fancy out of the grilled chicken breast. Stir fried mixed veggies and shredded chicken, add some spices and tomato paste. Placed the shredded chicken mixture between the grilled buns and was ready to be gobbled up. It was delicious, YUM!
- Cooked shredded chicken- 2 to 3 cups
- Oil- 1 tbsp
- Onion, sliced thin- 1
- Green pepper, cut into thin wedges- 1
- Broccoli, cut into small- 1 cup
- Paprika- ½ tsp
- Ground cumin- ½ tsp
- Tomato paste- 3 tbsp
- Cilantro, chopped- ¼ cup
- Water- ¼ cup
- Salt- 1 tsp
- Hamburger buns
- Chipotle Mayo or Mayonnaise
- Season 2 chicken breasts with salt and pepper, cook covered till well done.
- Let cool down and shred the chicken with a fork, keep aside.
- Place a wide pan over medium heat. Add oil.
- Add sliced onion, season with ½ tsp salt. Saute till onions start to turn light golden.
- Add green pepper and broccoli, stir fry for a few minutes.
- Add shredded chicken, combine well.
- Add paprika, ground cumin and ½ tsp salt. Combine well.
- Stir fry for 5 minutes and let veggies & chicken turn slightly browned (tastes better).
- Add tomato paste, combine well.
- Add ¼ cup water, cook for 3 minutes.
- Add chopped cilantro, combine well.
- Remove the pan from the heat, let cool down for a few minutes.
- Grill the buns on a panini maker or on a pan placed over stovetop till light golden grill marks are formed.
- Smear the buns with chipotle mayo or just plain mayonnaise.
- Place the shredded chicken mixture on one of the buns, cover with the other bun.
- If you prefer, you can top with shredded cheddar cheese.
- Enjoy the sandwich along with chips or french fries.