Crunchy, mildly-spicy and a perfect appetizer…
Despite of my man’s unlikeness for cauliflower, I again made a dish with cauliflower. Last night, when he sensed that I was planning to make something out of cauliflower, he told me that this time he was not going to have it. I just smiled at him and focused on my cooking. Only thought I had in my mind was to make a dish that my man will fall head over heels.
My initial intention was to make cauliflower fritters, I stuck with that idea and made a gluten free batter with rice flour and corn starch. I love sesame seeds and so added sesame seeds to the batter. After making the fritters, I felt that my man was not going to be that impressed by the fritters. So, I made a stir fry out of the fritters by adding onions, soy sauce and ketchup. The color of the stir fry, the aroma, the taste; I was truly blown away.
Just the look of this dish made my man partially fall for this dish, after he took a bite of it he was seen enjoying this stir fry without even saying a word till he emptied the whole plate. After finishing up he looked at me and asked: Could I have one more plate of this?
It was delicious, a perfect appetizer that can be made without much effort.
- Cauliflower, florets- florets of a small cauliflower
- Oil- enough for deep frying cauliflower
- Rice flour- ¾ cup ( or use all purpose flour)
- Corn starch- ¼ cup
- Chili powder- 1 tsp
- Dried basil- ½ tsp
- Dried oregano- ½ tsp
- Sesame seeds- 1 tbsp
- Salt- to taste
- Ketchup- 1 tbsp
- Water- ½ cup (enough to make thick batter)
- Oil, used for frying- 2 tbsp
- Cumin seeds- 1 tsp
- Whole dry red chili- 2
- Onion, chopped small - 1
- Ginger-Garlic paste- ½ tbsp
- Soy sauce- 2 tbsp
- Tomato ketchup- 2 tbsp
- Green onions, chopped- 2 stalks
- Cilantro, chopped- 2 handful
- In a large bowl, combine all the above mentioned ingredients "for making batter". Add water accordingly to make a thick batter.
- I used rice flour, you could use all-purpose flour instead.
- Separate the cauliflower florets and rinse it under running water. Pat dry using kitchen paper towel.
- Heat enough oil for frying in a frying pan.
- Dip the cauliflower florets in the batter and fry till golden in color.
- Transfer the fritters to a paper towel, keep aside.
- Place a non-stick pan or wok over medium heat.
- Add 2 tbsp oil used for frying fritters.
- Add cumin seeds and dry red chili, saute for a few seconds.
- Add onion and saute till it turns translucent.
- Add ginger-garlic paste and saute till onions turn light brown.
- Add soy sauce and tomato ketchup, combine well.
- Add the cauliflower fritters, stir fry to coat with the sauce.
- Add green onions and cilantro, stir fry for 30 seconds.
- Serve on a plate and enjoy.
Step by Step Pictures