Lamb shoulder chops marinated in an aromatic herb marinade and roasted in the oven…
Wishing everyone a Happy Holiday season!!!
Isn’t December the best time of the year? For me, Dec is my birthday month too so it’s definitely a special month. We are having a green Christmas and a gorgeous weather this time. We didn’t get any snow yet and the temperature hasn’t dropped below zero. We are enjoying without any complains.
The other day, I made lamb shoulder chops for dinner. I seldom cook lamb as I am not that keen about lamb meat. When I get bored of chicken, I mostly make beef or sea food. But this time, I got hold of lamb shoulder chops and thought of giving it a try.
I marinated the lamb chops with an aromatic herb marinade and roasted in the oven. Served it with mushroom risotto. It did turn out great, I think I’ll try lamb more often.
Marinated Lamb shoulder chops
Cooking in the skillet
Making the gravy
- Lamb shoulder chops- 4 pieces
- Garlic- 3 cloves
- Rosemary- 1 sprig
- Thyme- 1 sprig
- Whole black Pepper corns- 2 tsp
- Ground cumin 1 tsp
- Light Olive oil- 3 tbsp
- Lemon juice-1 tbsp
- Salt- a few pinches
- Chicken stock or beef stock- 1 cup
- Cornstarch- 1 tbsp dissolved in 2 tbsp water
- Freshly ground pepper- ¼ tsp
- Light Olive oil- 2 tbsp
- Freshly ground pepper- to garnish over roasted lamb
- Preheat the oven to 400 F.
- In a food processor, coarsely grind all the ingredients mentioned 'to make the marinade'.
- Spread a few pinches of salt on all the lamb chops.
- Spread the marinade over the lamb shoulder chops and refrigerate for 2 hrs.
- Place an oven safe skillet over medium heat, add 2 tbsp olive oil.
- Place the marinated lamb chops on the skillet and cook for 3 minutes.
- Flip it over and cook for another 3 more minutes.
- Remove the skillet from the stove and place it in the preheated oven and roast for first 15 minutes.
- (Wear gloves) After 10 minutes, flip the chops over and roast for another 5 more minutes.
- Remove the skillet from the oven and place it over high heat on the stove.
- Sprinkle freshly ground pepper over the roasted lamb chops and cook for 2 to 3 minutes over high heat. Do not let the liquid in the skillet dry out completely.
- Transfer the chops to a plate.
- Into the liquid in the skillet, add 1 cup chicken stock or beef stock, combine well to the liquid.
- Dissolve 1 tbsp cornstarch in 2 tbsp water and add to the skillet. Add freshly ground pepper and salt if needed.
- Combine well and let the gravy thicken.
- Remove the skillet from the stove.
- I served the lamb chops with Mushroom risotto and salad. You could serve rice pilaf, roasted veggies, mashed potatoes etc.
- On a plate, place risotto on the center of the plate. Place roasted lamb chops over the risotto and pour the gravy over the chops. Serve while it's warm.