Yummy quick fix dinner…
This week is fading away so fast it seems, it’s already Tuesday. I had a wonderful weekend, in deed a rewarding one. On Sunday, I volunteered for a fund raising event, the theme was Egyptian brunch buffet. We had a lot of delicious food: Egyptian foul or fava bean stew, scrambled eggs, croissants, pizzas, pita bread and hummus, falafel, cheese, olives, fruit platters etc. I was in charge of making scrambled eggs along with two other wonderful ladies. We scrambled around 600 eggs, it was so much fun. It was the first time I was seeing 600 eggs being cracked up and whisked up and scrambled up, that was a lot of eggs, a lot…We custom made our croissants by stuffing it with with scrambled eggs, it was really delicious. It was such a fun event, more than the food and cooking, I got connected with a lot of good hearted people.
When we do something from our heart without expecting anything in return, the feeling that we get is what I call as “beyond content feeling”, I got that feeling on that day!
Refried beans? It’s a traditional staple of Mexico, the beans (mostly pinto beans) are baked or fried and mashed up. It can be served as a dip for chips, smeared onto pita bread or burritos, top it on nachos etc etc. I used to top refried beans on nachos or dip the chips in it.
The other day, I wanted to make something different with refried beans and so made a sauce out of it and combined the paste in it. I was so glad to have tried that, tasted so delicious and it was so easy to make too.
- Chicken breasts, diced- 2
- Ground cumin- 1 tsp
- Paprika- 1 tsp
- Salt- to taste
- Oil - 1 tbsp
- Onion, julienned - 2
- Bok choy, chopped - 2 stalks ( or use spinach or other greens)
- Cherry tomatoes - 10 (or 2 regular tomatoes)
- Refried beans, canned - 400 ml ( refried beans I used was seasoned with green chilies, you could use any kind)
- Water- ½ cup
- Pasta- any kind, I used macaroni.
- In a saucepan combine chicken with ground cumin, paprika and salt, cook covered till it has cooked well. Keep aside.
- Cook pasta in boiling water seasoned with salt till it has turned tender. Keep aside.
- Place a large pan over medium heat, add oil.
- Add onion and a little salt, saute till translucent.
- Add bok choy, saute for a few minutes.
- Add cherry tomatoes and cook for a couple of minutes.
- Add refried beans, combine well.
- Add water to thin down the sauce, combine well
- Let the sauce come to a boil.
- Add cooked chicken, cook for a few minutes.
- Finally, add cooked pasta, combine well, heat for a minute.
- Serve onto a plate and enjoy!
Step by Step Pictures