Chicken and Rice Kanji or Porridge is one of my favorite dishes to make during Ramadan…
Hope everyone is having a blessed Ramadan. Since it’s summer we are having long fasting hours, here sun sets at 9 pm. For me observing the fast is not a big deal, but as soon as I break the fast and eat something my stomach feels blotted. I have been experiencing this for the past few days and I have not been able to eat much. Only one dish that I can possibly consume without much problem is rice porridge or kanji. This is a must have dish for me during Ramadan. Also, by having porridge my body is well hydrated. There are different types of porridge that’s famous in my hometown, one of the porridges that’s often made in my family is Creamy Rice Soup or Ramadan Kanji.
To make the porridge even more rich and flavorful, I added chicken to it. Along with chicken and other spices, the porridge tasted delicious and a couple of bowls of this soup will provide me with enough energy during Ramadan.
Chicken Rice Kanji Cooking Video
Chicken Rice Kanji
- Oil- 2 tbsp
- Onion, chopped small- 1
- Ginger-Garlic paste- 1 tbsp
- Green chili, chopped- 1
- Garam Masala- 1 tsp
- Chicken, cut small- 2 chicken breasts
- Tomatoes, chopped- 2
- Chili powder- 1 to 1½ tsp
- Turmeric powder- ¼ tsp
- Fennel powder- 1 tsp (roast the fennel seeds and grind it to fine powder)
- Coriander powder- 2 tsp
- White Rice, (ponni or sona masoori)- 1½ cups
- Water- 3 cups
- Mint leaves, chopped- 7 leaves
- Cilantro, chopped- ¼ cup
- Salt- 1 tsp
- Coconut milk- 2 cups
- Water- 2 cups or more to thin down
- Cilantro, chopped- ¼ cup
- Salt- if needed
- Ghee- 1 tbsp
- Small onions or pearl onions, minced- 5 (or use 1 shallot)
- Place a pressure cooker or large pot over medium heat, add oil.
- Add onion, season with ¼ tsp salt and saute for a few minutes.
- Add ginger-garlic paste, saute and cook till onions turn translucent.
- Add tomatoes, cook till mashed.
- Add chicken, combine well.
- Add chili powder, turmeric powder, coriander powder, fennel power, garam masala and salt. Combine well and cook for a few minutes.
- Add rice along with mint leaves and cilantro chopped.
- Add 3 cups water, combine well.
- Cook the rice and chicken till it has cooked well- for 20 minutes.
- If using pressure cooker cook till 2 to 3 whistles.
- After the rice and chicken have cooked well, add coconut milk and combine well.
- Add 2 cups or more water to thin it down.
- Have a taste, add salt according to your needs
- If you need more spice add chili powder at this point.
- Add chopped cilantro to it and let the porridge come to a boil.
- For seasoning: Fry the minced small onions in ghee and add to the porridge. Close the cooker or pan.
- Remove the cooker or pan from the heat and keep covered for sometime.
- Serve warm in a soup bowl and enjoy.
•Leftover can be refrigerated and microwave before serving it.
Adding fried small onions is optional, you could even add fried onion- enhances the taste of this porridge greatly.