Green Dosa or Mung dal (green gram) crepes…
A very healthy crepes or a variation to urad dal dosa. The batter is made with Mung dal and rice, while in Dosa urad dal is used instead of mung dal. For making this dosa, you don’t have to wait for the batter to ferment, grind the batter and make the crepes right away.
This dosa is quite popular in Andhra pradesh, a state in India and is called Pesarattu in Telugu. This is mostly served with coconut or ginger chutney. I made a spicy coconut chutney and served with this. Loved this dosa and it tasted so good along with the chutney.
For Coconut Chutney Recipe, click here.
Spread the batter on the pan
Cooking the crepes
- Mung dal or Green gram (with skin)- 1 cup
- Rice, white rice- ½ cup
- Ginger, chopped- 1 inch
- Green chili, chopped- 1
- Small onions or shallots- 3
- Salt- to taste
- Water- 1 cup while grinding + more to thin down batter
- In a large bowl, soak the mung dal and rice in water overnight or for 5 hours.
- Drain the water and add the soaked mung dal and rice to a blender along with ginger, green chili, small onions and 1 cup water.
- Grind to a smooth paste and pour to a large bowl.
- Let the batter stand for 15 minutes.
- Before making the dosa, add enough water to the batter to thin it down.
- Heat a non-stick pan over medium high heat.
- Grease with non-stick cooking spray.
- Pour 1 large spoonful of batter on the pan, using the back of the spoon spread the batter to a round shape.
- Let the bottom side cook and turn golden in color.
- Flip it over and cook the other side as well.
- Transfer to a plate and serve with coconut chutney.