Tangy vegetarian side dish…
Kohlrabi is a common vegetable in Germany, it’s also served commonly in Kashmir. It belongs to the cabbage family, hence it tastes similar to cabbage hearts, however the taste is much milder and sweeter. I knew it kohlrabi would make an excellent vegetarian dish. I made a tangy curry with it, even the leaves can be used for making the dish. It’s healthy and tasted really good. I am looking forward to making more dishes with kohlrabi like pickle, pulissery etc.
- Oil- 2 tbsp
- Mustard seeds- 1 tsp
- Cumin seeds- ½ tsp
- Whole dry red chilly- 2
- Red or white onions, chopped-1
- Kohlrabi, diced- 3
- Kohlrabi leaves, chopped
- Kashmiri red chilly powder- 1½ tsp (or use regular chilly powder)
- Turmeric powder- ¼ tsp
- Ground Cumin- 1 tsp
- Fennel powder- 1½ tsp
- Salt- to taste
- Fresh tamarind juice- 3 inch slice soaked in 5 tbsp warm water,
- Rinse the kohlrabi stem and leaves under running water, dice into small cubes and chop the leaves. Keep aside.
- Soak 3 inch fresh tamarind slice in 5 tbsp warm water, combine the tamarind in water to release the juice, drain the juice, keep aside.
- Place a large non-stick pan over medium heat, add oil, let it turn hot.
- Add mustard seeds, let it splutter.
- Add cumin seeds and whole red dry chilly, saute for a few seconds.
- Add onion and a little salt, saute till translucent.
- Add kohlrabi diced along with chopped leaves.
- Add ¼ cup water and cook covered till the kohlrabi turns fork tender.
- Open the lid, add chilly powder, turmeric powder, ground cumin, fennel powder and salt, combine well.
- Add strained tamarind juice, combine well.
- Add ¼ cup more water and cook covered for 5 minutes.
- Have a taste and add more salt or chilly powder if needed.
- If you want more gravy, add some more water and cook for a few minutes.
- I didn't add too much water so it was more like a dry dish.
- Serve warm as a side dish along with rice, chapati, roti etc
To see all the 880 recipes published so far, please go to the recipe index.
If you enjoyed this post, subscribe to receive future posts