Rice & Coconut Kanji or Porridge made in the Instant Pot…
During Ramadan, one of the dishes that I look forward to while breaking the fast is this Creamy Rice porridge or kanji. This is a very comforting and nutritious Kanji. Coconut milk added will make this kanji creamy and delicious.
Creamy Rice Soup or Ramadan Kanji or Nombu Kanji
Making Ramadan Kanji or Nombu Kanji
- Rice, rinsed- 1½ cups (Ponni or Sona Massori or Raw White Rice)
- Fenugreek seeds- 1 tsp
- Garlic, chopped- 2 cloves or 1 tbsp
- Salt- 1 tsp
- Water- 3 cups
- Coconut, grated ( fresh or frozen)- 1½ cups
- Cumin seeds-1 tsp
- Turmeric powder-1/2 tsp
- Water- 2½ cups
- Coconut milk-1 cup (I used canned thin consistency)
- Water- ½ cup
- Salt- 1½ to 2 tsp
- Turn on the Instant Pot.
- Into the stainless steel pot, add the above mentioned ingredients "to cook rice".
- Close with the lid.
- Select Pressue cook setting, set time to 15 minutes at high pressure.
- Into a blender, add the grated coconut with cumin seeds and turmeric powder along with 1 cup of water, grind or pulse for 2 minutes. Don't grind into a smooth paste, this is to extract the coconut milk out of the grated coconut.
- Pour the ground mixture into a strainer and strain the coconut milk into a bowl.
- Grind the strained grated coconut one more time with 1 cup water and strain the coconut milk to the bowl.
- Add ½ cup water, squeeze the grated coconut and strain the coconut milk.
- Total water added is 2½ cups to extract the coconut milk.
- After 15 minutes of pressure cooking the rice, do a quick pressure release.
- Combine the cooked rice, it will be cooked well.
- Add the extracted coconut milk, 2½ cups. Combine well with the rice.
- Select Saute Setting, at Normal or Medium temperature.
- Add salt, combine well.
- We will have to add ½ more water to thin down the kanji, combine well.
- Finally, add 1 cup cocount milk. I used canned thin consistency coconut milk.
- Combine well.
- Taste and add more salt to taste.
- Let the coconut milk come to a slight boil. Do not over cook or over boil.
- Take the stainless steel pot out of the Instant Pot. Keep covered for sometime.
- Serve in soup bowls and enjoy with pickle.