Kaipola is a popular Malabar snack, this is an easy version of Kaipola…
Ghee roasted plantains, eggs are combined together along with nuts, raisins and steam cooked to make this healthy and delicious snack.
I made Kaipola in the Instant Pot in steam mode and it turned out perfect. Whenever I see plantains in the grocery store, I grab them and I either ghee roast them or make Kaipola and serve for weekend brunch. These are my favorites to make with plantain. Yes, how could I forget plantain fritters or pazhampori??? On a rainy day, I like to enjoy plantain fritters along with a cup of cardamom tea.
For making this, you will need ripe plantains. If you get hold of raw plantains, let them sit on the counter top for a few days or place them in a brown paper bag to accelerate the ripening process.
- Plantains, ripe diced- 2
- Ghee- 2 tbsp
- Eggs- 3
- Sugar or Maple syrup- 2 tbsp
- Dates, chopped- ¼ cup (optional)
- Almonds or Cashew Nuts, chopped- ¼ cup
- Pecans, chopped- 2 tbsp (optional)
- Dice up the ripe plantains.
- Place a non-stick pan over medium heat, add ghee.
- Add the diced up plantains, roast till they turn golden brown. Keep aside.
- In a heat resistant large glass bowl, beat the eggs using a whisk.
- Add sugar, beat well.
- Add dates, almonds and pecans, combine well.
- Adding dates and pecans are optional. You could even add raisins instead of dates.
- Add the roasted plantains to the egg mixture, combine well.
- You can either steam cook in a glass bowl or in a stainless steel plate that fits well into the Instant Pot.
- Add 1 cup of water into the stainless steel pot.
- Place the trivet over the water.
- Cover the bowl with the plantains and eggs with an aluminum foil.
- Place the bowl on the trivet.
- Close the pot with its lid.
- Turn the knob to SEALING.
- Click on STEAM- HIGH PRESSURE. Set the time to 15 minutes.
- After the steam pressure cooking has completed. Turn the knob to VENT and do a QUICK PRESSURE RELEASE.
- Open up the lid.
- Wear an oven mitt and carefully remove the bowl from the pot.
- Let cool down.
- Using a sharp knife cut into squares or wedges.
- Enjoy this healthy and delicious snack for brunch or as an evening snack.