Semiya or vermicelli payasam made in the Instant pot…
This is a Kerala special payasam or dessert made with vermicelli, milk, and condensed milk. Easy to make yet tastes delicious. This is served as one of the sweet dishes in Sadya.
Instant Pot Semiya-Vemicelli Payasam- Kerala payasam- Instant Pot Kerala Sadya Recipes
Recipe type: Dessert
Serves: 5 people
- Ghee- 2 tbsp
- Vermicelli, thick version- 1 inch slice thick vermicelli- 1 cup
- Milk- 2½ cups
- Water- ¾ cup
- Sweetened Condensed milk- 5 tbsp
- Cardamom powder- ¼ tsp
- Ghee roasted cashew nuts- 2 tbsp
- Ghee roasted raisins- 1 tbsp
- Turn on the Instant Pot.
- Select saute setting at normal temperature.
- Let hot sign display.
- Add 2 tbsp ghee.
- To the ghee add the vermicelli and roast for 3 minutes till aromatic & light golden brown.
- Add milk, sweetened condensed milk, and cardamom powder.
- If you don't have condensed milk, add white sugar according to your sweet level.
- Cover the pot with a glass lid and cook for 10 to 15 minutes till vermicelli turns soft.
- If the milk has thickened, you can add more milk or add ½ to ¾ cup water.
- Cook for 2 more minutes till milk comes to a boil.
- Remove the stainless steel pot from the main pot. Keep covered.
- Heat a frying pan, add 1 tbsp ghee and roast 2 tbsp cashew nuts & 1 tbsp raisin till golden brown; add this to the payasam.
- Keep the payasam covered for some time.
- Serve in small glasses and enjoy.
- As the payasam sits, it will thicken, before serving you can warm it up by adding some water or milk.
Instead of condensed milk, you can add white sugar based on your needs.