Kerala style delicious egg roast made in the Instant Pot…
I have been making hard-boiled eggs in the Instant pot, turns out perfect every single time. Hard-boiled eggs combined with onion-tomato masala is a popular breakfast dish in Kerala, India. Egg roast is served with appam, idiyappam, chapati, poori etc.
I used Instant pot to make the egg roast and it turned out delicious.
Appam Recipe, click here
Idiyappam Recipe, click here
Poori Recipe, click here
Chapati Recipe, click here
Watch the Cooking Video
- Eggs- 6
- Water- ½ cup
- Coconut Oil- 1 tbsp
- Onions, sliced thin- 3 (Red or Yellow onions)
- Ginger, chopped- 1 tbsp
- Garlic, chopped- 1 tbsp
- Green chilies, chopped- 2
- Curry leaves- 1 sprig
- Tomatoes, chopped- 2, big sized
- Chili powder- ¾ tsp to 1 tsp
- Turmeric powder- ¼ tsp
- Coriander powder- 2 tsp
- Garam Masala- ½ tsp
- Salt- 1½ tsp
- Turn on the Instant Pot.
- Add ½ cup water to the stainless steel pot.
- Place the trivet into the stainless steel pot.
- Place 6 eggs on the trivet.
- Close the pot with its lid.
- Select Steam Mode: Set Time to 5 minutes, at High pressure.
- After 5 minutes of steam cooking, do a quick pressure release.
- Open the lid.
- Using a tong: remove the eggs from the trivet. Immediately immerse the eggs in a bowl filled with cold water. This is to stop the cooking and will help to peel off the shells easily.
- Keep aside for 5 minutes.
- Peel off the shells, rinse the hard-boiled eggs under running water to ensure minute shells are not clinging to the eggs.
- Keep aside the hard-boiled eggs.
- Select Saute Mode- MediumTemperature.
- Let Hot sign appear on the display.
- Add coconut oil.
- Add sliced onions, season with ½ tsp salt. Saute for 2 minutes.
- Add chopped ginger, garlic, green chilies, and curry leaves. Combine well.
- Cook till onions turn light golden in color: for 5 minutes, stirring continuously.
- Add tomatoes, cook till they are mashed up.
- If the bottom of the stainless steel pot is turning brown, add ¼ cup water and combine well and cook.
- Ensure to stir the onion-tomato mixture continuously to prevent from sticking to the bottom of the pot.
- Let cook well, takes a few minutes.
- Add chili powder, turmeric powder, coriander powder, garam masala and 1 tsp salt. Combine well.
- Cook for 2 minutes until well incorporated.
- Put gashes on the hard-boiled eggs, add the eggs to the cooked onion-tomato mixture.
- Cover the eggs with the masala. Let cook for 2 minutes.
- Remove the stainless steel pot from the main pot, keep covered for a few minutes.
- Serve along with appam, idiyappam, poori or chapati.