Idiyappam, a popular South Indian breakfast dish cooked in the Instant Pot…
3-minute pressure cooked idiyappam or string hoppers in the Instant Pot. Idiyappam is a popular South Indian & Srilankan breakfast dish. Making Idiyappam from scratch is an art. For making idiyappam, you’ll need idiyappam maker & plates. These are available on Amazon or at the Indian store.
Watch the video for making idiyappam dough and cooking in the Instant Pot.
- Rice flour- 1½ cups (I used Double horse brand)
- Water- 1½ cups
- Salt- ½ tsp
- Grated coconut- ½ cup
- Coconut oil- to grease plates
- In a wide saucepan, add water and let the water come to a slight boil, add salt and rice flour. Combine well using a wooden spoon.
- Remove the pan from the heat.
- Let cool down for 5 minutes; do not let the dough cool down completely, dough will turn dry.
- While the dough is warm, knead well for at least 5 to 10 minutes till soft and smooth.
- Divide the dough into 4 equal parts.
- Grease idli plates with oil; add 1 tbsp grated coconut.
- Fill the idiyappam mould with one handful dough and make idiyappams. Let idiyappam fall on the plates.
- Stack up the plates.
- Turn on Instant Pot.
- Add ½ cup water to the stainless steel pot.
- Place the stacked plates. Close with the lid.
- Select pressure cook setting, set TIME TO 3 MINUTES at HIGH Pressure.
- After 3 minutes of cooking, do a quick pressure release.
- Remove the plates from the pot, wear a mitten or use a kitchen towel; it's hot, hot...
- Let cool down for 5 to 10 minutes, idiyappam will set well.
- Serve with chicken/mutton/beef curries or veg curry, veg stew, etc.
If using another flour brand, adjust the amount of water or flour accordingly to make a soft dough.