This herbal coffee is a great remedy for cold, headaches, sinus etc, will instantly open up your senses and makes you feel better….
If I have a cup of this homemade herbal coffee, I would shy away from any other branded coffee in the market. I have been feeling dizzy and inactive for the last couple of days, only one thing that is keeping me up and running is this homemade herbal coffee.
As soon as I take a sip of this, I feel my dead senses are charged and back to life. I must say I had forgotten about this coffee for so many years, and now I feel as if I found my long lost companion.
My mom and my grandma used to make this all the time. Whenever I fell sick, my mom made sure to brew this and a single cup of this coffee had done instant wonders to me, all of a sudden I would feel uplifted. When I was looking for a way to get rid of my headache, my eyes caught on the box of jaggery in the pantry ( you would be wondering why am I looking in the pantry for headache remedy: I always look for natural remedies before I even think of taking any medicine and most of the time it works for me) I was reminded of this long lost companion. What a perfect timing! I got what I needed and without even wasting a single second, I started brewing this coffee.
I took out almost all the spices from my pantry: cardamom, cloves, dry ginger, whole pepper seeds, along with cumin seeds, coriander seeds. As soon as the spice rich water started to boil, I put a few leaves of basil into it. I can’t really put into words, the aroma that developed while brewing this coffee. It penetrated into me and the soreness I was feeling on my head literally vanished. I sat on the couch and with each sipping I cherished those times I had with this coffee.
Today, I brewed this coffee again and thought of sharing this aromatic homemade herbal coffee with everyone. You can have this coffee any day, especially on days you are feeling low.
On a rainy cold day, this coffee would make a great companion…
Cooking Video: How to make Homemade Herbal Coffee
- Water-2 cups
- Jaggery or palm sugar- 2 to 3 inch slice or depending upon your sweet level.
- Whole Cardamom, smashed with the back of the spoon- 2
- Whole cloves- 2
- Dried Ginger- 1 inch slice or use 1½ tsp ground dried ginger
- Whole black pepper or Ground Pepper- ½ tsp
- Cumin seeds, smashed or ground cumin- ½ tsp
- Coriander seeds, smashed (optional)-1/2 tsp
- Fresh Basil or Tulsi leaves- 7 to 8 leaves
- Instant coffee- 1½ tsp
- In to a saucepan, add all the ingredients into the water except coffee, cover the pan and let water come to a boil. Let the jaggery dissolve completely in water.
- When the water starts to boil, add the instant coffee powder and give it a good stir, remove the pan from the heat, cover the pan with the lid for 5 minutes.
- Strain the coffee into a coffee mug and have it while it is pipping hot.
- The hotness from the ground pepper, the aroma from the basil leaves and the other spices, the sweetness from the jaggery will charge you up instantly.
- After you finish this coffee your senses will open up and you will start to sweat.
- This is a great homemade remedy for cold, headaches, sinus etc.