Stop searching for healthy life, it’s right next to you..
Who would say NO to fruits? I can think about a big NO when it comes to Veggies. I used to be a picky veggie eater when I was a kid. As a kid we all have heard one thing from our moms at the dining table over and over, almost everyday: eat your veggies; it’s good for your eyes, bones, health, blah blahhh…The more we were forced to eat veggie, the more we hated it.
My mom used to do all the tricks to make me eat the veggie; juice ‘em, stew ‘em, soup ‘em, when she figured out that these doesn’t seem to work, she even made desserts out of ‘em. However, over the years things got changed as I became more clear about what actually is in these veggies and what I would benefit out of these.
After the advent of internet, it became easy for me to do some research about fruits and veggie, in fact about everything I eat. When I became aware about the health benefits of all different fruits and veggies, I now try to include all these amazing natural things in my diet. The best thing about fruits are that we just have to wash and eat them, as simple as we want. Even some of the veggies are of this criteria, wash and eat them as such or make a hearty salad out of them. Not just salads and juices, we can make a variety of dishes with them, giving our taste buds a grand treat.
In this post, I am going to list in alphabetical order about the health benefits of most of the fruits and veggies that we commonly find in our grocery store. I hope this post would help to understand the health benefits of most of the fruits and veggies. So next time, when you do grocery shopping, make sure to stack up your cart with all the veggies and fruits you had ignored all these years. The more you ignore these, the more money you would end up paying the health insurance. So lets make up our mind to include these in our daily diet and get the healthy life we all are looking for.
The information I am posting here are those collected from many health websites out there. I have tried my best to list some of the interesting facts I have found about fruits and veggie that we see everyday. After knowing their benefits, my respect and love for fruits and veggies went up drastically:)
Picture Courtesy: Google Images.
Source: Information gathered from several health websites.
Apple: “An Apple a day keeps the doctor away”.
Everyone would be familiar about this saying. Most of us would have grown up hearing this and hence it made us eat more apples than any other fruits. This itself explains the health benefits of apple. More interesting facts about apple:
- An Apple a day can keep Alzheimer’s away.
-Eating apple every day can make you wise and alert.
-Apple is a rich source of flavonoid and poly phenols both are powerful antioxidant.
- Reduced risk of lung cancer, bladder cancer, stroke and heart disease.
- Eating apple can prevent skin wrinkling and skin damage and hence helps to remain forever young and vibrant.
- Flavonoids in it helps in improving lung functioning thereby reducing the incidents of coughing and breathlessness.
- Eating an apple daily can lower cholesterol.
- A study found that women who ate three apples or pears per day lost more weight while dieting than women who did not eat fruit while dieting.
Eat the fruit with the skin on: The skin of apple contain pectin that can help remove toxic substances from the system
Asparagus: “Asparagus Is Nature’s Version of Viagra” isn’t this an awesome piece of information.
- Its minerals combined with asparagine, an active amino acid, gives the vegetable a diuretic effect and thus, helps the body get rid of excess water.
- It is very useful in relieving premenstrual swelling and bloating. It also helps in relieving irritability, fatigue and depression.
- The vegetable has anti-inflammatory properties and is therefore, used in the treatment of asthma, arthritis, and rheumatism.
- Intake of adequate asparagus, in the early stages of pregnancy, helps the body fight against certain birth defects, like spina bifida (a neural tube defect).
- Asparagus is a good anti-oxidant, a fact which makes it helpful in curing cancer, cataract and other eye problems.
- The vegetable also helps in controlling blood sugar levels and therefore, is very beneficial for people with diabetes.
- Drinking a little amount of asparagus juice mixed with raw honey three times a day helps to strengthen a weak heart.
- You could eat steamed or boiled asparagus, roast in the oven, could be used in making soups, and other dishes.
- Excessive intake of asparagus causes certain uric acid related problems, like gout and kidney stones.
- Asparagus gives a foul odor to urine.
Banana: “Eating only two bananas will give you enough energy to exercise or workout for an hour and a half”.
- Bananas contain no fat, sodium or cholesterol.
- Serotonin and norepinephrine in bananas may naturally help sufferers overcome depression.
- Bananas are rich in vitamin B6 and they are a good source of fiber, vitamin C, magnesium and potassium.
- The potassium found in bananas helps to regulate blood pressure and may reduce the risk of high blood pressure and stroke.
- Bananas also contain plenty of carbohydrates which are the body’s main source of energy. They are also easy to digest.
- Eat just as it is, make smoothie, used in making desserts.
- Because of their great taste, they can be substituted for sweets and satisfy sugar cravings.
Beetroot: “Beetroot definitely beats purple Chanel Lipstick”- Quote by Thas.
This vibrant and colorful veggie if consumed daily, would definitely add color to our life. This definitely beats purple Chanel lipstick. If rubbed a slice of this on to the lips, the purple color would stay for so long that we don’t have to worry about re-applying.
- It contains the bio active agent betaine, which supports healthy liver function. When the liver is functioning properly, fats are broken down efficiently, aiding weight loss, and preventing fatigue and nausea.
- Drinking beetroot juice boosts your stamina and could help you exercise for up to 16% longer.
- An excellent source of folic acid. They are a very good source of fiber, manganese and potassium. Beet greens and beetroot are a good source of phosphorus, magnesium, iron and vitamin B6.
- Cholesterol Lowering: Beet fiber has been shown to have cholesterol lowering capabilities.
- Antioxidants: Betacyanin is the pigment that gives beetroot its color, and has powerful antioxidant properties. Studies have demonstrated that red beet products used regularly in the diet may provide protection against certain oxidative stress-related disorders in humans.
- Cancer Prevention: Preliminary tests suggest that beetroot ingestion can be one of the useful means to prevent lung and skin cancer. Other studies have shown that beet juice inhibits the formation of cancer causing compounds called nitrosamines.
- It is known as natural blood building food.
- Aphrodisiac-beet is rich in boron, our body uses boron for manufacturing the sex hormone, this increases the sexual desire
- Skin, hair- beet is a good remedy for treating skin diseases. Boil beet root pieces in some water and use this water for treating inflammation, pimples and boils on the skin.
- For hair- make a decoction of beetroot and mix it with some vinegar, apply this on scalp and this help you to get rid of dandruff.
- Drink Beetroot juice.
- Grated raw beets make a tasty addition to salads.
- For best flavor, bake beets instead of boiling or steaming. Wrap them in foil to avoid staining.
Carrot: Came across this funny quote:
“I never worry about diets. The only carrots that interest me are the number of carats in a diamond.”
My comment on this quote: If we are into increasing the no: of carats in a diamond, by the time we have all the carats we want, we would realize that our eyesight has dimmed to such an extent that when we drop that precious diamond we would be blind enough to pick some unwanted stone from the floor. Needless to say that the diamond would be in the hands of those who cared to eat CARROTS, lol.
- Carrot contain carotene, a chemical that is converted into vitamin A by the body, it helps prevent night blindness.
- Carrot can enhance the quality of breast milk.
- Carrot can improve the appearance of the skin, hair and nails.
- When taken daily it can lower cholesterol and blood pressure.
- Raw carrot contain beta-carotene, a strong antioxidant that can prevent cancer.
- Carrot juice when taken everyday prevent bodily infections and is claimed to be valuable for the adrenal glands (the small endocrine glands situated above the kidneys).
- Carrot can help improve eyesight.
- Carrot can help increase menstrual flow.
- Carrots can regulate blood sugar.
- Carrot can promote colon health, because carrot is rich in fiber.
- Carotene in carrots is an anti-oxidant that is known to prevent degeneration of cells and is therefore, considered to have anti-aging effects. The high content of anti-oxidants also reduces the risk of quite a few cancers. Being a rich source of dietary fiber they also reduce the risk of heart disease.
- Carrot juice is a wonder juice that can give you your daily requirement of Vitamin A and many other important nutrients that are required for good health. Make it a point to have a glass every day, plain or mixed with any other vegetable or fruit juice.
- Raw carrot juice lowers stress and restores normalcy to digestive function.
Chilly Peppers: “The hottest,the spiciest yet the healthiest”-quote by Thas.
“Capsaicin is the name of the chemical in peppers that gives them their hot edge. It’s also the name of the thermogenic supplement in many weight loss pills“.
-Chili peppers are extremely healthy for you, and should be included in your regular diet. Here’s why.
-Chili Peppers fight migraine headaches and sinus headaches.
-They prevent sinusitis and relieve congestion.
-They fight cancer
- They help lower high blood pressure
- They fight inflammation
- They help soothe intestinal diseases
- They can help you burn fat and lose weight
- They help protect your heart
- They have loads of Vitamin C
- They can warm your feet
- Do your feet get cold in the winter? Try this — sprinkle powdered cayenne in your shoes. It will keep you feet nice and warm during those cold winter nights.
- Will there be any house without Chilly pepper in their refrigerator?
Dates: “Never mind if you can’t find someone who hasn’t dated before, you can always get fresh Dates in the grocery store”-Quote by Thas.
- Constipation: Date is termed to be a laxative food. This is the reason that dates are beneficial for people suffering from constipation. For getting the laxative effect from dates, you need to soak dates for one full night in water. You should consume these soaked dates in the morning like syrup to get their actual advantages.
- Intestinal Disorders: The nicotinic content that is present in the dates is said to be beneficial for curing any kinds of intestinal disorders. Continuous intake of dates helps to maintain a check on the growth of the pathological organisms and thus, helps in the rise of friendly bacteria in the intestines.
- Weight Gain: Dates are said to be a part of healthy diet. They consist of sugar, fats, proteins as well as many essential vitamins. If the dates are consumed with the paste of cucumber, one can easily come out from the problem of over-slimming. One kilogram of dates contains almost 3,000 calories. These calories alone are sufficient to meet the daily requirements of a human body.
- Heart Wealth: Dates are quite helpful in maintaining your heart in healthy condition. When soaked for whole night and crushed in the morning and consumed, they prove to be quite advantageous for weak hearts. They help to fortify heart, if taken twice in the week.
- Sexual Weakness: Dates are even beneficial for increasing sexual stamina in the human body. A handful of dates, when soaked in fresh goat’s milk for the night and then grinded in the same milk with the mixture of cardamom powder and honey, becomes a very useful tonic for increasing sex endurance and sterility due to functional disorders.
- Diarrhea: Ripe dates contain potassium. Potassium is beneficial for controlling diarrhea. They are easily digestible, which helps to cope up with the problems of diarrhea.
- Intoxication: Dates are known as an excellent remedy for alcoholic intoxication. Dates provide quick relief in the case of alcoholic intoxication. They should be rubbed and soaked overnight for getting more nutritious values from them.
- Abdominal Cancer: Dates are beneficial for curing abdominal cancer. They work as useful tonic for all age groups. They work as better as the medicines, and are natural and do not bear any side effects in the body. They can be easily digested and used for supplying extra and needed energy.
- Eat 5 dates per day, it’s a good source of iron.
- Make date smoothie: In a blender, mix dates, milk and ice cubes to make a healthy smoothie.
- You can make several desserts with dates. Try my Dates Cake.
Eggplant:” If you are still thinking how eggplant got it’s name, I would say stop caring about its name and think about its health benefits- Quote by Thas.
How eggplant got its name? In the Middle Ages, traders brought a certain kind of eggplant to Europe, a rare white variety shaped just like a chicken egg. So the vegetable was called eggplant, and the name stuck, even when the familiar purple eggplant reached Europe years later.
- The skin of an eggplant is contains a high amount of phytonutrients that helps protect the lipids in your brain cell membranes.
- Eggplant also contains lots of antioxidants. Nasunin is an antioxidant that helps protect your cells from free radical damage. Phenolic compounds are also antioxidants that help protect against oxidative stress and bacterial infections.
- Eggplant has been used to help lower cholesterol levels.
- Eggplant is extremely high in fiber and this can help prevent constipation, colitis and hemorrhoids.
- Eggplant also helps lower your risk for coronary heart disease.
- Eggplants are very versatile and can be boiled, steamed, fried, grilled or baked.
- It promotes healthy bowel function due to the high levels of fiber.
- Figs are amongst the most highly alkaline foods, making them useful in balancing the pH of the body. They are a good source of potassium, important in helping to regulate blood pressure.
- Studies have shown the ability of fig leaves to lower the levels of triglycerides. Triglycerides are the major form of fat produced and stored in the body, and elevated levels of triglycerides are commonly linked to obesity and heart disease.
- Fig leaves have anti-diabetic properties, and reduce the amount of insulin needed by diabetics.
- Eat dried figs as a healthy energy snack.
- Add figs to baked goods such as muffins , cakes and cookies.
- Add dried or fresh figs to porridge, oatmeal or breakfast cereals.
- Add chopped fresh figs to rice, couscous dishes.
- Good blood and body builder, it is also a quick source of energy.
- Grape juice is easily assimilated and called the “nectar of the gods”. It is indicated in cases of constipation, gout, rheumatism, skin and liver disorders.
- This alkaline fruit helps greatly to decrease the acidity of the uric acid and lends itself further in aiding the elimination of the acid from the system, thus benefiting the kidneys greatly.
- Studies shown that grape juice, red wines and raisin tea showed strong antiviral activity against polio virus, herpes simplex virus.
- Helps reduce platelet clumping and harmful blood clots.
- This fruit is naturally high in vitamins A, C, and B6, along with folate, calcium, potassium, manganese, zinc, copper, and iron, all of which are necessary for human health, especially in people who are active. The high vitamin and mineral content makes grapes a great supplement to a healthy diet, especially if people follow the rule of eating five servings of different colored fruits or vegetables a day, ensuring a diverse intake of vitamins and minerals.
- Try all kinds of grapes, rinse them and eat them.
- Most of the times the grape juice available in the market is not pure. Therefore buy fresh grapes from the nearest fruit stall and prepare the juice yourself.
Guava: “If I happen to see guava in any store, I would crazily stack them up in my shopping cart, as I grew up eating these”- Quote by Thas.
-Guava is a very good source of vitamins, fibers as well as minerals. -Being rich in Vitamin C; guava is effective in treating male infertility caused by sperm clumping, adhesion and other abnormalities.
-Guava has been associated with healing of wounds, when applied externally.
-Guava has general haemostatic properties and can be used for treating bleeding nose, gums and minor internal hemorrhaging.
- Guava helps cure dysentery, by inhibiting microbial growth and removing extra mucus from the intestines.
- Guava helps the body in combating free radicals produced during metabolism and aids in preventing age-related chronic diseases, such as Alzheimer’s, cataract and rheumatoid arthritis.
- Guava is one of the richest sources of dietary fiber and thus, is good for those suffering from constipation.
- Guava strengthens and tones up the digestive system and even disinfects the same.
- Guava, having high content of roughage, no cholesterol & less digestible carbohydrates, is good for those trying to lose weight.
- Guavas can improve the texture of skin and help avoid skin problems. For the purpose, you can either eat it raw or make wash your skin with a decoction of its immature fruits and leaves.
- Juice of raw and immature guavas or decoction of guava-leaves is known to bring relief in cough and cold.
- Researches have shown that guava is pretty effective in preventing cancer and even heart diseases in people.
- The presence of complex carbohydrates and dietary fibers in guava makes it effective in lowering cholesterol and blood sugar levels.
- The presence of Vitamin C and other phytonutrients, such as caretenoids, isoffavonoids and polyphenols, in guava has led to it being an effective antioxidant.
- You can eat both the raw and ripe fruit.
- Make Guava smoothie: In a blender, mix ripe guav and milk , add sugar if needed.
- Spicy Guava: Rub the inside of guava slices with some chilly powder, this tastes incredible, spicy and sweet.
Honeydew: ” Whoever named this fruit has some sense, definitely the sweetest of all melons”-Quote by Thas.
- Honeydew is a great source of foliate that has become well known for its power to forbid birth defects and is of great importance to women of childbearing age
- It is fat-free, cholesterol free, low in sodium, yet delivers 100 percent on the critical energy component found in functional foods. The nutritional value of honeydew melon makes it an excellent choice for both weight control and general health.
- It helps prevent cardiovascular disease, high blood pressure, diabetes, and cancer
- Contain potassium, this mineral helps keep your muscles from cramping.
- Contain plenty of water which keeps us hydrated.
- It is a great source of vitamin C, a powerful antioxidant that can help prevent many diseases.
- Cut honeydew melons with seeds make an excellent healthy snack.
- Honeydew melons can be dried and kept like raisins and its seeds can be roasted.
- Honeydew melons can also be made into lip-smacking kebabs.
Iceberg lettuce: “The name comes from the way lettuce was originally packed and transported on crushed ice, making the heads look like iceberg”, now this make sense.
- Iceberg lettuce has high water content and is low in calories. Therefore, it is good in weight loss.
- Folate content in iceberg lettuce helps in fighting heart diseases and strokes.
- Even though it is low in nutrition, this one adds the crispiness and texture for a great salad.
- A salad made with one part iceberg and one part romaine along with other salad veggies gives the salad a juicy crispness which is from the iceberg lettuce.
Jackfruit: “An excellent vegetarian substitute for meat. In fact, canned jackfruit (in brine) is sometimes referred to as “vegetable meat”.
- The fruit is made of soft, easily digestible flesh (bulbs) with simple sugars like fructose and sucrose that when eaten replenishes energy and revitalizes the body instantly.
- It is one of the rare fruit that is rich in B-complex group of vitamins. It contains very good amounts of vitamin B-6 (pyridoxine), niacin, riboflavin and folic acid.
- It is also known to help cure ulcers and indigestion.
- Helps to lower blood pressure because of its high potassium content.
- Jackfruit is known to have phytonutrients which have their own health benefits. Phytonutrients have anti cancer, Anti aging properties in them which helps us to overcome from many diseases and conditions. These phytonutrients can also prevent cancer cells to spread out in our body which is extremely beneficial for cancer patients.
- You can eat the ripe fruit.
- Fry the raw fruit to make delicious jackfruit fries, which is my favorite of all fries.
- Don’t discard the seeds, they are as good as the fruit. It can be fried after seasoning with some spices. Also, used in some South Indian dishes
Kiwi: A kiwi, sometimes marketed as a kiwifruit or Chinese gooseberry. It was named after the New Zealand national symbol, the “kiwi bird”.
- Prevents Asthma.
- Prevents wheezing and coughing, especially in children.
- Protects our DNA from mutations.
- Provides a healthy amount of antioxidants and vitamins.
- Helps prevent colon cancer thanks to a high fiber content.
- Kiwi can help protect us from age related muscular degeneration.
- Eat the ripe fruit.
- Consume half glass of raw kiwi fruit juice for health benefits daily.
Kale: “If not an apple, a bowlful of Kale a day can definitely keep the doctor away”. Read more and you would second this comment.
- Kale has a number of health benefits because of its richness when it comes to vitamins and other vitals nutrients. To start with, this cabbage is rich in calcium and has high amount of lutein,vitamins A, C, K, E and iron.
- Vitamin E is responsible for making Kale an effective antioxidant. Studies have shown that having Kale can actually slow down the decline in mental performance as a result of aging. So, if three servings of this leafy vegetable are consumed everyday, be sure that your memory is going to flatter you.
- Manganese is another very important nutrient present in Kale, which is beneficial for health.
- Vitamin A and beta carotene content in Kale is excellent for the lungs and eyes.
- Vitamin C, on the other hand, is responsible for the production of antioxidants and strengthening the immune system. It also is a very good shield against rheumatoid arthritis.
- The natural phytochemicals, sulforaphane and indoles present in Kale, may give protection against cancer.
- Carotenoids like lutein and zeaxanthin are present in abundance in Kale. These act like natural sunglass filters, protecting our eyes from the harmful ultraviolet rays. There are less chances of developing cataract if Kale is consumed regularly.
- Eating Kale can suffice fiber content requirement of the body easily. A cup of Kale with its fiber content reduces the cholesterol and sugar levels in the body. For stronger bones, consuming the required quota of calcium present in Kale on a regular basis will do the trick. Apart from these, Kale consumption is believed to reduce the potent risks of lung, colon, bladder, ovarian and breast cancers.
- Two easy ways to cook kale are by boiling and sauteing.
Lettuce: “It is said that the effect of eating too much lettuce is ‘soporific’”.
- Since lettuce is very low in calories, it has been effective when consumed as a diet
- Lettuce is beneficial in the treatment of insomnia as it contains a sleep inducing substance.
- Romaine lettuce is the most nutrient-dense of all the lettuce varieties.
- A mixture of lettuce and spinach juice is said to help the growth of hair if drunk to the extent of a pint or so a day.
Lemon: “I really wish I could count the number of times I would have shouted for lemon, my companion for almost all home made remedies” – Quote by Thas.
I believe lemon has the quickest remedy for most of our every day illnesses.
- Good for stomach.
- Lemon can help relieve many digestion problems when mixed with hot water. These include nausea, heartburn and parasites. Due to the digestive qualities of lemon juice, symptoms of indigestion such as heartburn, bloating and belching are relieved.
- By drinking lemon juice regularly, the bowels are aided in eliminating waste more efficiently.
- Lemon acts as a blood purifier and as a cleansing agent.
- The intake of lemon juice can cure constipation. It is even known to help relieve hiccups when consumed as a juice.
- Lemon juice acts as a liver tonic and helps you digest your food by helping your liver produce more bile. It decreases the amount of phlegm produced by your body. It is also thought to help dissolve gallstones.
- Excellent for Skin Care.
- Lemon, being a natural antiseptic medicine, can participate to cure problems related to skin. Lemon is a vitamin C rich citrus fruit that enhances your beauty, by rejuvenating skin from within and thus bringing a glow on your face. Daily consumption of lemon water can make a huge difference in the appearance of your skin. It acts as an anti-aging remedy and can remove wrinkles and blackheads. Lemon water if applied on the areas of burns can fade the scars. As lemon is a cooling agent, it reduces the burning sensation on the skin.
- Aids in Dental Care.
- Lemon water is used in dental care also. If fresh lemon juice is applied on the areas of toothache, it can assist in getting rid of the pain. The massages of lemon juice on gums can stop gum bleeding. It gives relief from bad smell and other problems related to gums.
- Cures Throat Infections.
- Lemon is an excellent fruit that aids in fighting problems related to throat infections, sore throat and tonsillitis as it has an antibacterial property. For sore throat, dilute one-half lemon juice with one-half water and gargle frequently.
- Good for Weight Loss.
- One of the major health benefits of drinking lemon water is that it paves way for losing weight faster, thus acting as a great weight loss remedy. If a person takes lemon juice mixed with lukewarm water and honey, it can reduce the body weight as well.
- Controls High Blood Pressure.
- Lemon water works wonders for people having heart problem, owing to its high potassium content. It controls high blood pressure, dizziness, nausea as well as provides relaxation to mind and body. It also reduces mental stress and depression.
- Assist in curing Respiratory Disorders.
- Lemon water assists in curing respiratory problems, along with breathing problems and revives a person suffering from asthma.
- Good for treating Rheumatism.
- Lemon is also a diuretic and hence lemon water can treat rheumatism and arthritis. It helps to flush out bacteria and toxins out of the body.
- Reduces Fever.
- Lemon water can treat a person who is suffering from cold, flu or fever. It helps to break fever by increasing perspiration.
- Acts as a blood purifier. The diseases like cholera or malaria can be treated with lemon water as it can act as a blood purifier.
- Juice them, used in salad dressing, garnishing, used in most of the dishes.
Lychee: “Lychee, translated from Chinese as ‘gift for a joyful life’, surely lives up to its name”.
- The lychee fruit contains vitamins and minerals that promote a healthy diet, it is sweet and delicious.
- Two studies done conclude that the lychee fruit prevents the growth of cancer cells. Lychee contains flavonoids in its pulp which prove very effective against breast cancer in particular.
- Another health benefit of the lychee fruit is that it is a great source of vitamin C, a vitamin that the body does not produce naturally. Vitamin C helps the body to fight heart disease and cancer, Vitamin C is good for our bones, skin and tissue, and therefore is a very important vitamin to our overall good health.
- The high content Vitamin C content of the lychee fruit, the fruit benefits those suffering from colds, fevers and sore throats.
- Lychee also helps the body to digest food properly for the best nutrition and an added boost of health.
- You can eat the ripe fruit.
- Lychees are used in making fruit salad and in desserts.
Mango: First thing that comes to my mind while thinking about mangoes are: “Mango Frooti fresh and juicy”.
- Mango is High in Iron.
- It is high in Antioxidants .
- It is an Anti-Inflammatory Fruit.
- Being high in iron, mango is said to be very good for pregnant women as well as for people suffering from anemia.
- Vitamin Powerhouse: One small mango provides a quarter of your recommended daily allowance for vitamin C, nearly two thirds of your daily quota for vitamin A, good amounts of vitamin E and fibre.
- Mangoes also contain pectin, a soluble dietary fibre, which has been shown to lower blood cholesterol levels.
- Eat the ripe and raw fruit.
- Make pickles, chutneys, variety of dishes can be made using this.
- Used for making fruit salads and desserts.
Mushrooms: “Next time you are in the produce aisle, pick up an immune booster—the mushroom”.
Three Mushroom species that contain phenomenal healing properties:
- Maitake – is recommended especially for stomach and intestines problems, as well as diabetes.
- Shiitake have been used for centuries by the Chinese and Japanese to treat cold and flu. Today itis recommended especially in treating nutritional deficiencies and liver ailments.
- Reishi extract promotes respiratory health.
- Helps boost immune system function.
- Helps boost cardiovascular health.
- Lowers the risk of cancer and helps in the treatment of cancer.
- Helps fight infection.
- Mushrooms low calorie content is good for those who are reducing.
- Mushrooms are probiotic, they help restore our bodies balance and natural resistance to disease.
- Mushroom has analgesic, anti-inflammatory properties.
- Lowers blood pressure.
- Antibacterial, Antiviral and Anti-HIV activity.
- Mushroom is rich in several anti-oxidants (Selenium, Uric acid & Vitamin A, E, & C) as well as Vitamin D.
- Helps increase libido.
- Bake them, saute them, stuff them.
Nectarines: Confused about nectarine and peach? The main difference is that a nectarine has a smooth skin whereas a peach is fuzzy. The nectarine also has a spicier flavor. They both have one “pit” seed in the center, and are grown of the same trees. The nectarine is actually a mutation of a peach.
- Nectarines are low in calories and are naturally fat free
- Nectarines are also naturally cholesterol free amino C helps to maintain a healthy immune system.
- Nectarines are also a great source of antioxidants which can help protect the skin from damaging UV rays by counteracting free radical activity.
- Aids Digestion
- Eat the ripe fruits.
- Dried fruits are used in desserts.
Olives: “Only one thing that maintains its virginity forever is Extra Virgin Olive oil”- Quote by Thas.
Lutein, a strong antioxidant and carotenoid:
- Protects cells from premature aging.
- Strengthens retina and improves eye sight.
Polyphenols (flavonoids), antioxidant agents:
- Reduce the risk of heart and blood vessels disorders.
- Stop cancer cells from growing.
Beta-carotene (pro-vitamin A), strong antioxidant:
- Reduces harmful influences of carcinogens, preventing the risk of many forms of cancer, from bowel, gullet, throat cancer to stomach and prostate gland cancer.
- Protects smokers from lung tumors.
- Is essential for robust eye sight, the growth and regeneration of tissues.
- Nourishes epithelium, smoothes out wrinkles and rejuvenate the skin.
- Strengthens teeth and bones.
Orange: “For me, breakfast means ‘no-pulp Tropicana orange juice”.
- Orange juice is known to contain a high percentage of Vitamin C, which is helpful in boosting the immune system. So, you will be less likely to catch various illnesses, such as colds or the flu.
- Various medical studies show that orange juice may help lower both cholesterol levels and blood pressure levels, which are two very common problems among middle aged men and women.
- Orange juice is thought to be very high in antioxidants. What this means is that this yummy juice may help prevent various forms of cancer, including breast cancer and prostate cancer.
- Fairly large amounts of potassium, which is an essential nutrient for the body, can be found in orange juice.
- Studies have shown that orange juice can help reduce the risk of heart disease, which is because it can help improve circulation.
- Orange juice contains Folate, which plays a major role in the reproduction of new cells and can help with the healing process.
- Research has shown that orange juice has anti-inflammatory properties. If you experience a lot of arthritis-related pain, orange juice may really help relieve it.
Okra: The world’s most beautiful women, Cleopatra of Egypt and Yang Guifei of China loved to eat okra according to the history record. Isn’t this just suffice information which would make us eat okra here after.
- The superior fiber found in okra helps to stabilize the blood sugar by curbing the rate at which sugar is absorbed from the intestinal tract.
- Okra’s mucilage binds cholesterol and bile acid carrying toxins dumped into it by the filtering liver.
- Okra helps lubricate the large intestines due to its bulk laxative qualities. The okra fiber absorbs water and ensures bulk in stools. This helps prevent and improve constipation.
- Okra is a supreme vegetable for those feeling weak, exhausted, and suffering from depression.
- Okra is used for healing ulcers and to keep joints limber. It helps to neutralize acids, being very alkaline, and provides a temporary protective coating for the digestive tract.
- Okra treats lung inflammation, sore throat, and irritable bowel syndrome.
- Okra has been used successfully in experimental blood plasma replacements.
- Okra is good for summer heat treatment.
- Okra is good in normalizing the blood sugar and cholesterol level.
- Okra is good for asthma. Okra’s vitamin C is an antioxidant and anti-inflammatory, which curtail the development of asthma symptoms.
- Okra is good for atherosclerosis.
- Eating okra helps to support the structure of capillaries.
- Some information shows that eating okra lowers the risk of cataracts.
- Okra is good for preventing diabetes.
- Okra protects you from pimples and maintains smooth and beautiful skin. This makes clear why Cleopatra and Yang Guifei loved to eat okra.
Papaya: “After knowing about the wonders papaya can do to our skin, I had to remind myself over and over that it is a fruit and not a facial mask”- Quote by Thas.
- Papaya is an amazingly rich source of the proteolytic enzymes. These are the chemicals that enable the digestion of protein. Papain, which is the most important of these enzymes in the papaya.
- Rejuvenating properties for papaya, especially for the control of premature ageing. It may be that it works simply because a poor digestion leaves the body without the correct nutrients. Those who find it almost impossible to digest anything frequently find that papaya used regularly, either in tablet or juice form, marks the turning point in the climb back to vitality and good health.
- It acts as cleanser.
- Papaya contains arginine which is known to be essential for male fertility and also carpain, an enzyme thought to be good for the heart.
- After treatment with antibiotics the use of papaya juice will quickly assist the restoration of the normal bacteria in the gut which will have been destroyed by the treatment.
- Papaya is good for many digestive disorders and is excellent for improving poor digestion. It has also been recommended as part of the treatment for cancer. Therapeutically it can often be combined with pineapple juice in which there is another important enzyme. bromelain.
- The skin of the papaya is a first class external treatment for skin wounds and places that do not heal quickly. The pulp from the juicer can be used for this and as a poultice.
- Rich in starch. With its high content of starch, it acts and has an emollient property that can actually soothe the skin.
- It acts as an antacid. Thus, it helps in the digestive system. It works best also for those suffering from constipation.
- With its high content of potassium, it is good for combat for heart blood pressure. It acts as a vasodilator thus dilating or increasing the size of your blood vessels and it is known for its diuretic effect.
- It is known for its antiscorbutic properties. Boosts the immune system thus decreasing the chances for illness.
- With its high content of calcium and phosphorus, it is known to help calm the spasms and cramps individuals would usually experience. It has a sedative effective function, thus causing muscles to relax.
- It is rich in carbohydrates thus boosting the energy of an individual.
- You can eat the ripe papaya.
- Ripe papayas are used in cooking and in Salads.
- Make papaya smoothie in milk.
Passion fruit: “My latest passion is drinking passion fruit juice”.
- Passion fruit have somniferous properties, and when taken before going to bed they
are effective in relaxation and a restful sleep during the night.
- Passion fruit seeds are a great source of fiber that the body needs to cleanse the colon, improve digestion, and help prevent heart attacks and strokes. Fiber attaches itself to the buildup found in the colon wall, pulls it out and makes the colon clean and clear from disturbances. This makes it easier for the body to digest food and in the long run, prevents the development of colon cancer. A similar process takes place in the valves of the heart whereby fiber flushes out the buildup of fat and cholesterol in the heart, protecting the body against heart attacks, heart disease and strokes.
- Passion fruit also benefits those who eat it by providing the body with high doses of Vitamin A and C. Vitamin A helps the body to remove free radicals that cause skin and tissue damage, and it helps to improve our vision. Meanwhile Vitamin C helps to repair tissue, helps prevent heart disease and cancer and helps our bones.
- A 2008 study found that subjects who took passion fruit extracts and who suffer from asthma, got relief from symptoms of coughing and wheezing by 76 percent. The antioxidants found in passion fruit is believed to block histamine, reduce allergy and inflammation; passion fruit therefore has the health benefit of reducing the symptoms of asthma.
- Passion fruit makes an excellent juice.
- It is also used in many desserts.
Plums: “I love plums, but hate the plummy aches I get after eating too many plums”- Quote by Thas.
- Plums are engorged with vitamins. It has vitamin A, vitamin K and vitamin C. The fruit also has niacin, riboflavin and thiamin. Plums also have pantothenic acid, folate, vitamin B6 and vitamin E.
Plums prove to be good laxatives and are good for the digestive system. The vitamin C and phenols in the fruit has antioxidant qualities, which look after the eyes and prevent macular degeneration; boosts immunity; improves cardiac health; and, protects against cancer.
- Plums are rich in antioxidants, which provide protection from the superoxide anion radical. These antioxidants also prevent damage to our neurons and the fats that are part of our cell membranes.
- Plums also lead to better absorption of iron.
- The vitamin c in plums is good for the body tissue and for the immune system. It can prevent flu and colds and can even prevent the cholesterol from getting oxidized.
- Since the vitamin C in plums can neutralize the free radicals, it prevents diseases like rheumatoid arthritis, osteoarthritis, colon cancer and asthma.
- Packed with dietary fiber, plums are good for the digestive system.
- Plums are rich in minerals like phosphorus, copper, manganese, magnesium and potassium.
Pineapple: “There is nothing in a Pineapple’s appearance that resembles an “apple.” It’s said that it got the addition to its name when Christophershowed the fruit to the English people. An “apple” was already a tasty, popular fruit that many people enjoyed. Therefore, in order to enhance its appeal, added “apple” to the name he had already given it. And, the name “pineapple” was set into place”.
- Pineapple is high in anti-oxidants.
- A very good source of vitamin C, pineapple offers your body an excellent protection against free-radicals, substances that attack healthy cells. A build up of free-radicals can lead to atherosclerosis and diabetic heart disease, an increase in asthma attacks and an increased risk of developing certain cancers, such as colon cancer. Free-radicals have also been shown to accentuate the problems associated with osteoarthritis and rheumatoid arthritis.
- Pineapple is also an excellent source of manganese, a mineral essential in some of the enzymes necessary in the body for energy production. It also has very good amounts of thiamine (vitamin B1) which is also important in these energy producing enzymes.
- Pineapple has been shown to be important in maintaining good eye health, helping to protect against age-related eye problems.
- There are many benefits for eating pineapple. Pineapple is full of vitamins and nutrients. All fruits are full of nutrients. However, pineapple has more benefits than just being packed with vitamins and nutrients. Pineapple benefits are also.Strengthens weak bones- Ever kneel down and you hear that slight pop of your bones? If you have this is a sign that you are not getting enough iron in your body. Pineapple helps strengthen your bones so you won’t have to worry about that pop turning into a snap.
- Good for Gums- Your gums are very important to keep healthy. The gums hold the teeth in place and your teeth would be in bad condition if you have unhealthy gums. By eating pineapple, you are strengthening your gums to make it through the hard years later.
- Prevents Macular Degeneration- Eating pineapple prevents from many diseases. One such is Macular Degeneration. This is when your bones determinate through the disease. It causes death. However, eating pineapple degreases your chances by 36%. You can feel safe from this horrible disease.
- Helps Arthritis- Those who have arthritis pain, eating pineapples can reduce the pain of arthritis and for those who do not have arthritis, pineapple prevents the disease by strengthening your bones and giving extra iron to your bones.
- When you eat pineapples, you have a better chance at having a healthier life.
- Eat the ripe fruit.
- Juice them.
- Used in fruit salads and used in variety of dishes.
Pomegranates: “Edible ruby red gemstones”
- Fights Flu Virus.
- Pomegranate extract also helps reduce inflammation.
- Pomegranate has been found to fight lung and prostate cancer.
- It has antioxidants that helps in maintaining a smooth and wrinkle free skin.
- Eat the fruit.
- Juice them.
- Used in salads for great color and taste.
Quince: “Quinces are distant relatives of apples and pears”.
- Quince shines among fruit for its anti-viral and anti-oxidant propeties, as well as it’s high vitamin C content.
- Alleviate the symptoms of gastric ulcers.
- Boost heart health.
- Quince boasts potent antioxidant properties, which help the body fight against free radicals and reduces the risk of cancer.
Raspberry: “The prettiest among berries”.
- Strengthened Immune System.
- Disease Prevention.
- Healthy Vision.
- Raspberries has a pigment, which is thought to be responsible for their blue and red hue. The pigments are also believed to contain compounds which are the key components of the ability of raspberries to prevent the development of many types of diseases in humans.
Strawberry: “I love anything with a dash of strawberry flavor in it”.
- Antioxidants: The bright red color of strawberries is due to their high concentration of antioxidants. Their high antioxidant compacity make them an ideal food for fighting cancer.
- The nutrients in strawberries nourish brain cells increasing brain health and function.
- It has anti-aging properties.
- The antioxidants, vitamins, and minerals of strawberries combine to form a powerful disease fighting mixture.
- Eat the ripe fruit, make smoothie, used in cakes, desserts.
Spinach: “Even if you forget about other veggies, don’t forget about this one”.
- Spinach is one of the most nutrient-dense vegetables. It provides an excellent source of vitamins C and K, carotenes, and folic acid. It also offers a very good source of manganese, iron,magnesium, and vitamin B2.
Spinach is also a good source of vitamins B1, B6, and E.
- The iron content in spinach is twice that of other greens.
- Spinach is also one oof the most alkaline foods. This makes it useful in helping to regulate the
- body’s pH balance. Spinach also contains one of the richest dietary sources of lutein. Therefore, it is effective in promoting healthy eye sight and preventing macular degeneration and cataracts.
- Spinach, like other chlorophyll and carotene containing vegetables, contains anticancer
- properties. Studies have identified at least thirteen different flavonoid compounds in
- spinach that function as antioxidants and as anticancer agents.
- Raw spinach leaves makes a great salad.
- Soup them, saute them, and you can put them in almost all dishes.
Tomatoes: Is Tomato a fruit or a vegetable?? Scientifically speaking tomato is definitely a fruit.
The health benefits of tomatoes includes:
- Prostate cancer prevention, LDL cholesterol reduction, anti inflammatory, and anti thrombotic.
- Tomatoes contain a lot of vitamin C. Vitamin C helps the body to produce collagen, an important protein skin, scar tissue, tendons, ligaments, and blood vessels. Vitamin C is also an antioxidant, helping to prevent cell damage by free radicals.
- Tomatoes also contain a powerful antioxidant called lycopene. Studies have shown that men consuming 10 servings of tomatoes a week cut the risk of prostate cancer by 45%. Lycopene also lower the risk of colorectal cancer and stomach cancer, and inhibits the growth of other types of cancer cells. Lycopene may also help older folks remain active.
- Coumaric acid and chlorogenic acied are also found in tomatoes. These two compounds are thought to block the effects of nitrosamines, which are formed naturally in the body, but are also a strong carcinogen in tobacco smoke.
- Tomatoes may also help to reduce the risk of heart disease. Tomatoes are a good source of potassium, niacin, vitamin B6, and folate. Niacin has been used for years to lower cholesterol. Potassium has been shown to lower high blood pressure. And vitamin B6 and folate are used by the body to convert a dangerous chemical called homocysteine into more benign compounds.
- Vitamin K, found in tomatoes helps to maintain healthy bones. Vitamin K1 activates a protein in the bones called osteocalcin, which anchors calcium inside the bone. Without enough vitamin K, bone mineralization is impaired.
- Eat just as it is, juice them, use in salads.
- Without tomato any dish is incomplete.
Ugli fruit: “If I get a chance to meet the person who named this fruit as Ugli, I will definitely punch on his face and make him look ugli” – Quote by Thas.
An Ugli fruit is a citrus fruit created by hybridizing a grapefruit and a tangerine, and is sometimes called uniq fruit or unique fruit.
V for: ??
Watermelon: “When summer arrives, one fruit I look for is watermelon, this is one fruit I love to carve”.
- Energy production
- Protects against macular degeneration
- Fights heart disease
- Loaded with antioxidants
- Reduces the risk of cancer
- Prevents erectile dysfunction
- Good source of vitamins and minerals
- Eating the watermelon itself is really tasty.
- Juice them, use in fruit salads.
X for: ??
Yams: “Yams aren’t the first vegetable most people consider when planning their produce purchases, This versatile veggie has a variety of health benefits which give them a deserving spot at the dinner table”.
- Yams are not only lower in carbhohydrates and starch, they are packed with nutrients.
- Yams provide a very good source of potassium and fiber.
- They are also a good source of Vitamin B1, B6 and C
- They are helpful for women during their menstrual cycle . Yams help in naturally providing relief from the painful menstrual cramps .
- It is also beneficial for pregnant women as it has been found that yams can help in preventing nausea caused during pregnancy.
- Yams act as natural muscle relaxants.
- They help in lowering the levels of blood sugar and cholesterol in the body.
- Steam them, boil them, use in soups, saute them, add them in stews.
Zucchini:”Zucchini and Cucumber are Fraternal twins; Zucchinis are rough and dry, while cucumbers are cold and waxy”.
- -Zucchini helps to cure asthma as it contains Vitamin C, which is a powerful antioxidant, and has anti-inflammatory properties.
- -It helps to prevent diseases, like scurvy, bruising etc, caused by the deficiency of Vitamin C.
- -Eating zucchini also helps to support the arrangement of capillaries.
- Regular intake of zucchini effectively lowers high homocysteine levels.
- They also prevents the risk of having multiple sclerosis (MS).
- They have high water content (over 95%), so they make perfect food for people on diet.
- They contain useful amounts of folate, potassium, and vitamin A, necessary for a human body.
- They contain Vitamin C and lutein, both of which are good for eyes.
PHEWWWWWWWW, I know I definitely deserve a big Phew, I can’t believe I actually did this. I would like to thank all the wonderful health websites out there which helped me and gave me the inspiration to write this blog post. I Know this is one longest post and I don’t expect anyone to read this whole post in one stretch. Writing this blog not only helped me to know about the health benefits of these amazing fruits and veggies, but also I could share these amazing facts with others.. Please let me know if any information I have written here is wrong and do share your thoughts about any other fruits you might know.
So it’s never late, lets include more of these Nature’s gift to us in our daily diet.
Be Healthy and Happy!