Whole chicken marinated with Indian spices, pressure cooked and then grilled…
Welcoming Summer with a bang, we are having long weekend and I’ve been busy with my new project- beautify my garden and other outdoor activities. How I love Summer, sunshine and being with Nature- these are so therapeutic for me…
After all the hard work in the garden, I thought my Man would make a scrumptious dinner for me…Well, I couldn’t even spot him in my house. So, I decided to grill whole chicken. This time I used a very easy Indian spice mix to marinate the whole chicken. The marinated chicken was pressure cooked and then grilled to perfection. In fact, the star of this meal was the gravy that I made out of the liquid that was left behind after cooking chicken. Grilled whole chicken poured with the yummy gravy and served along with gilled corn and potatoes. Ohh Yum!
Grilled Whole Chicken Cooking Video
- Whole chicken- 1.5 Kg or 3 Lb (skin removed)
- Ginger- Garlic paste- 1 tbsp
- Chili powder- 2 tsp
- Turmeric powder- ¼ tsp
- Garam masala- 1 tsp
- Coriander powder- ½ tbsp
- Cumin powder- ½ tsp
- Fennel powder- 1 tsp
- Salt- ½ tsp
- Lemon juice- 1 tbsp
- Water- 2 to 3 tbsp, to make a smooth paste
- Liquid left behind after cooking chicken
- Corn starch- 1½ tbsp combined with 2 tbsp cold water
- Coconut oil or Vegetable oil- 1 tbsp
- Lemon juice- juice of half lemon
- In a bowl, combine all the above mentioned ingredients "for making the marinade", combine well to a smooth paste.
- Remove the skin and rinse under running water. Pat dry using kitchen paper towel.
- Using a knife, put gashes or lines on the breast and thighs.
- Spread the marinade all over the chicken and cover the chicken taken in a bowl with plastic wrap.
- Let marinate in the refrigerator for 1 to 2 hours.
- Place the whole chicken in a pressure cooker, add ½ cup water and cook over medium heat for 20 minutes.
- Do not over cook the chicken.
- If you don't have pressure cooker, cook covered in a large saucepan till chicken has partially cooked.
- Let the pressure subside, open the lid, take the cooked whole chicken out of the cooker.
- Save the liquid in the pressure cooker for making the gravy.
- Turn on the grill to medium high. Grease the grill with non-stick cooking spray.
- Place the whole chicken breast side down, cover the grill and cook till golden brown grill marks are formed.
- Flip it over, spread coconut oil over the chicken and grill till the bottom side has cooked well too.
- Squeeze lemon juice over the chicken and grill for a few more minutes.
- Remove the whole chicken from the grill and keep covered.
- Place the pressure cooker along with the liquid from the cooked chicken over medium heat. Let come to a boil.
- Combine ½ tbsp corn starch with 2 tbsp cold water.
- Add the cornstarch to the liquid, combine well and let the gravy thicken.
- Pour the gravy into a bowl.
- While serving, pour the gravy over the grilled chicken and enjoy. The gravy is so delicious.
- You can even pour the gravy over grilled potatoes, tastes delicious.