Perfect salad for Summer, refreshing & cooling…
Tabbouleh is a popular Middle Eastern salad, it is usually served as part of a meze- selection of small sides serves as appetizers. I had this salad a few days ago when I visited Tobermory, I instantly fell for it. Refreshing salad and is perfect to have on a warm summer day. Bulgur wheat is the main ingredient for this salad; combined with tomatoes, cucumber, parsley, mint leaves & onions; drizzled with lemon juice & olive oil and seasoned with freshly ground pepper & salt. The addition of lemon juice makes this salad refreshing, cucumber provides the cooling effect. Bulgur wheat is rich in fiber and is filling. Altogether, it is a perfect salad. Can be served along with grilled chicken, fish, steak, or lamb.
- Bulgur Wheat, cooked- 3 cups
- Tomatoes, chopped- 3
- Cucumber, chopped- 1 cup
- Red onions or Green onions, chopped- ¼ to ½ cup
- Parsley chopped- ¼ cup (or cilantro)
- Fresh mint leaves, chopped- 2 tbsp
- Lemon juice- juice from half lemon
- Olive oil- 3 tbsp
- Fresh ground black pepper- ½ tsp
- Salt- 1 tsp
- I cooked the bulgur wheat in boiling water.
- In a saucepan, combine 1 cup bulgur wheat & 4 cups water, cook over medium heat for 20 minutes till wheat turns soft. Do not over cook the wheat.
- Drain the water, rinse with cold water and keep aside.
- In a large bowl, combine cold bulgur wheat (3 cups) along with all the other ingredients.
- Combine well, keep aside for 30 minutes before serving.
- This can be enjoyed as it is or serve along with grilled chicken, fish, steak or lamb and feel refreshed.