What’s my favorite cake in the whole world? My answer without a second thought will be Dates cake in caramel sauce. This is one cake that I’ve baked countless times, still I can’t get over the taste of this cake. One of the easiest cakes which tastes remarkable. Since it has dates, it’s very healthy too. Every bite is heavenly and makes your taste buds dance with joy.
I was introduced to this cake by one of my friends, Shinu. We had a lovely Christmas get together at her place in 2008, she gave this cake to us as a gift. After we reached home, first thing we did was to unwrap the cake and took a bite of it. My eyes opened up so wide, it was unbelievably delicious. Believe me, in no time my hubby and I finished this cake, though we were quite full and it was late night.
The caramel sauce that was spread over the cake really enhanced the taste of this cake . I had made this cake for most of my friends and my cousins, they all loved this. I had to share the recipe with almost everyone who had a bite of this cake. Here, I am sharing the recipe for making the most delicious dates cake with all the foodies out there.
Beware, this cake is addictive!!!
- Dates, chopped - 1 cup
- Water - 1 cup
- Baking soda - ¾ tsp
- Sugar - 1 cup
- Butter - ¼ cup
- Eggs - 2, large at room temperature
- All purpose flour or gluten free flour- 1 cup
- Vanilla extract - 1 tsp
- Brown sugar - ½ cup
- Butter - 2 tbsp
- Heavy cream - ½ cup
- Vanilla extract - 1 tsp
- Preheat oven to 325 degrees F or 160 degrees Celsius.
- In a saucepan, cook 1 cup of chopped dates in 1 cup water over medium heat for 7 minutes or till the dates are cooked through. do not over cook the dates.
- Remove the pan from the heat, let cool down for a few minutes.
- Add the baking soda to the dates mixture, combine well and keep aside.
- Using an electric hand mixer or stand mixer with paddle attachment, cream the sugar and the butter together.
- Add eggs one at a time, beat well.
- Add vanilla extract and give it a mix.
- Add flour and beat the mixture for 2 minutes till well-incorporated without any lumps.
- Add the cooled dates mixture and beat for a minute till combined.
- Grease the baking pan with butter, pour the dates mixture into the pan.
- Bake for 45 to 50 minutes or until a fork inserted into the middle of the cake comes out smooth.
- Combine all the ingredients mentioned for making the caramel sauce in a saucepan, bring to a boil.
- Simmer the sauce for 10 minutes or until the sauce thickens. Remove from the heat, let cool down completely.
- Spread the caramel sauce evenly over the cooled dates cake.
- Chill the dates cake topped with caramel sauce in the refrigerator for 30 minutes.
- Cut into square shapes and serve.