During Ramadan fasting season, one dish I look forward to while breaking the fast is this Creamy Rice porridge or knaji. There are a different ways of making this. Here I am posting a quick and easy recipe, which is more like a comfort soup on any day.
Creamy Rice Soup or Ramadan Kanji or Nombu Kanji
Making Ramadan Kanji or Nombu Kanji
- Rice-1 cup (Ponni or Sona Massori or Par boiled Rice)
- Fenugreek seeds- 1 tsp
- Garlic minced- 1 tsp
- Salt- ½ tsp
- Water-2 cups
- Coconut, grated ( fresh or frozen)- 1 cup
- Cumin seeds-1 tsp
- Turmeric powder-1/2 tsp
- Water- 2 cups
- Coconut milk-1 cup
- Salt- as required
- In a pressure cooker, cook the rice along with the above mentioned ingredients "to cook rice".
- In a blender, grind the grated coconut with cumin seeds and turmeric powder along with 1 cup of water, don't make it into a smooth paste, this grinding is to get the coconut milk out of it.
- Pour the ground mixture into a strainer and strain the coconut milk into the cooked rice.
- Grind the strained coconut one more time with 1 cup water and strain the coconut milk to the cooked rice. Combine well
- Add the coconut milk. Combine well.
- Heat the mixture, but don't over boil it.
- Taste and add more salt based on your needs.
- If the soup is thick add more water or coconut milk to thin down.
- Serve hot in a soup bowl and serve it with pickle of your choice.