Cracked wheat mixed with veggies and perfectly seasoned, a truly delicious Summer salad…
Looking at the cracked wheat that was sitting comfortably in my pantry, I had to ask myself this question: how can I turn cracked wheat into something delicious??? I’d tried making cracked wheat chicken pilaf before and loved it. I wasn’t up for making it again as I wanted to make something different. That’s when the thought of turning cracked wheat into a salad hit me real hard. It was a hot day, so salad sounded great. Also, I wanted to use up the cucumber and tomatoes that I’d harvested from my garden. so, I decided to combine cooked cracked wheat with cucumber and tomatoes and drizzled lemon juice over it. I also added a little bit of sumac which imparted a slight sour taste to the salad. Finished it off with cilantro and mint leaves, now the salad got a refreshing uplift as well.
Cracked wheat turned into a beautiful and refreshing salad, I couldn’t get over with this salad.
What is Sumac? Sumac seasoning is commonly used in Mediterranean and Middle Eastern cuisine. Sumac is a shrub that grows widely in Mediterranean region. The red coloured berries from the plants are dried and powdered, it has a sour taste. It’s used as the seasoning in the popular Fattoush- Arabian salad.
- Cracked wheat- 1 cup
- Cucumber, chopped small- 1
- Tomatoes, diced small- 2 or 3
- Cilantro, chopped- ¼ cup
- Mint leaves, chopped- 8 to 10 leaves
- Sumac- 2 tsp (you could replace with other seasonings)
- Lemon juice- 2 tbsp
- Ground pepper- ½ tsp
- Salt- to taste
- Olive oil- 1 to 2 tbsp
- Cook 1 cup cracked wheat with 2 cups water till all the water has absorbed and the wheat has cooked well. Let the cooked cracked wheat cool down.
- In a large bowl, combine all the ingredients along with the cooked cracked wheat.
- Taste and add more salt or ground pepper according to your needs.
- You could add any kind of seasonings or dressings you want.