Chicken and tomato cooked in chicken stock and beaten egg added towards the end, delicious Chinese egg drop soup…
Ramadan Mubarak to all those who observe fasting. I wish everyone a blessed Ramadan.
One of the dishes I look forward to while breaking the fast is soup. One bowl of soup and I am comforted. Today, I tried an easy to make egg drop soup. Egg drop soup is common in Chinese cuisine. However, this recipe is not an authentic Chinese egg drop soup as tomato is not added in the authentic version. In this version, chicken and tomato are cooked in chicken stock, seasoned the stock with Chinese seasonings and towards the end beaten egg white is added. Tasted delicious and is very comforting.
Recipe Courtesy: VahChef – Egg Drop Soup
- Chicken, boneless and diced small- 1 chicken breast
- Corn starch- ½ tbsp
- Egg white- ½ tbsp
- Salt- a few pinches
- Chicken stock, low-sodium- 5 cups (or combine 2 chicken bouillon cubes in 5 cups water)
- Tomato, chopped- 2
- Soy sauce, low-sodium- 1 tbsp
- Chili paste- 1 tsp
- Tomato ketchup- ½ tbsp
- Cornstarch- 1 tbsp dissolved in 2 tbsp cold water
- Green onions, chopped- 2 stalks
- Egg white, beaten- whites from 2 eggs
- Ground pepper- ¼ tsp
- Salt- to taste, if needed
- In a bowl, combine chicken with corn starch, egg white and salt.
- Place a large pot over medium heat, pour the chicken stock into the pot and let it come to a slight boil.
- Add the marinated chicken and cook for 5 minutes till the chicken floats on the stock.
- Add the chopped tomato and cook for a few minutes.
- Add soy sauce, chili paste and tomato ketchup, combine well and cook for 3 to 4 minutes.
- Combine the cornstarch with cold water and add to the soup, combine well and let the soup thicken.
- Pour the beaten egg white and keep stirring to avoid the formation of lumps.
- Add green onions and ground pepper.
- Have a taste and add more salt if needed.
- Remove the pot from the heat and ladle the soup into a soup bowl.
- Enjoy while the soup is warm.