Hearty and healthy Mung bean and chicken soup topped with Shrimp…
Chicken Mung Bean Soup
Recipe type: Soup
Serves: 5 People
- Mung bean- 2 cups
- Water- 4 cups
For making Soup
- Oil- 2 tbsp
- Onion, chopped- 1
- Chicken breast, diced small- 1 breast
- Coriander powder- 1 tsp
- Cumin powder- ½ tsp
- Chili powder- 1 tsp
- Ground pepper- ½ tsp
- Carrot, diced- 2
- Tomatoes, chopped- 2
- Chicken stock- 4 cups (or use 2 cups chicken stock + 2 cups water)
- Spinach- 2 cups
- Cooked Shrimp- 10 (optional)
- Cilantro, chopped- 2 handfuls
- In a pressure cooker, combine mung bean with 4 cups water and salt, cook till 3 to 4 whistles. Remove the cooker from the heat and let the pressure subside.
- Heat a wide pan over medium heat, add oil.
- Add onion, season with salt and saute till translucent.
- Add diced chicken breast, season with coriander powder, cumin powder, chili powder and salt.
- Cook covered till chicken has almost cooked.
- Add carrot, tomatoes, spinach along with chicken stock. Cook covered till carrots have turned tender.
- Add cooked mung beans to the pan, combine well and cook for a few minutes.
- Add ground pepper.
- In a blender or using a hand blender, puree half of the soup to a coarse paste.
- Combine the soup well and place the pan over medium heat, add cooked shrimp and cilantro, cook for a couple of minutes.
- Adding cooked shrimp is optional.
- Taste and add more salt if needed.
- Serve in soup bowls and enjoy with croutons or crackers.