One of my favorite ways to make cabbage, stir-fried with scrambled eggs…
I only make a few dishes with cabbage: Kerala style thoran or stir fry with coconut, add grated cabbage to noodles and this cabbage with scrambled eggs, I like to flavor up the bland cabbage by adding eggs to it. This is one dish that I make whenever I have cabbage in my refrigerator. This can be served as a side dish with rice or can be wrapped in chapati, tortilla or roti.
- Oil- 2 tbsp
- Mustard seeds- 2 tsp
- Cumin seeds- 1 tsp
- Whole dried red chilies- 2
- Curry leaves- 1 sprig
- Onion, chopped- 1
- Green chilies, chopped- 3
- Cabbage, grated- ½ of a medium cabbage
- Water- ¼ cup
- Turmeric powder- ¼ tsp
- Coconut grated- ½ cup
- Eggs, beaten- 2
- Ground pepper- ½
- Salt- 2 tsp
- Place a pan over medium heat, add oil and let turn hot.
- Add mustard seeds, let it splutter.
- Add cumin seeds and whole dry red chilies, saute for a second.
- Add onions, curry leaves, green chilies and 1 tsp salt; saute till onions turn translucent.
- Add cabbage along with water, cook covered till cabbage has turned soft.
- Open the lid and cook till the water dries off.
- Add turmeric powder and grated coconut.
- Stir fry for a few minutes till cabbage and coconut starts to turn golden brown.
- Beat the eggs taken in a bowl using a fork or whisk.
- Move the cabbage to one side of the pan, add the eggs.
- Season with ¼ tsp ground black pepper & salt.
- Scramble the eggs and combine with the cabbage.
- Add ¼ tsp more ground pepper and 1 tsp salt. Combine well.
- Taste and add more salt if required.
- Stir fry for 3 minutes.
- Remove the pan from the heat and keep covered.
- Serve as a side dish with rice, or wrap it in chapati, tortilla, rotis etc.