Hearty and Healthy butternut squash and green lentil soup…
If you are looking for a healthy yet filling and delicious soup, you gotta try this soup. I made this soup in the Instant pot. I added buttercup squash which has a buttery flavor and green lentils along with Indian spices. Towards the end, I added yogurt, that really enhanced the taste of this soup.
If you don’t have an Instant Pot, make this in a pressure cooker.
- Buttercup Squash or Butternut Squash, diced- 3 cups
- Green Lentils, rinsed- 1½ cups
- Chili powder- 1½ tsp (if less spicy add 1 tsp)
- Turmeric powder- ⅛ tsp
- Cumin powder- ¾ tsp
- Coriander powder- 2 tsp
- Salt- ¾ tsp
- Dried bay leaves- 2
- Water- 3½ cups
- Yogurt- ¾ cup
- Water- 1 cup
- Cilantro, chopped- 2 handfuls
- Into an Instant pot, add buttercup squash, green lentils, all the above mentioned spices, bay leaves and 3½ cups water.
- Close the lid, keep the valve in sealing position.
- Click on Soup Button- default time for soup is 30 minutes.
- After 30 minutes, it will beep, turn off the IP.
- Let the pressure release naturally- takes around 15 to 20 minutes.
- Open the lid and combine well.
- Add yogurt and 1 cup water, combine well.
- If you don't want yogurt you can skip that.
- Click Saute button- in normal heat mode.
- Cook for 5 minutes.
- Add cilantro, combine well and cook for a few seconds.
- Serve in soup bowls and enjoy along with toasted bread or pita bread.