Nankattas are Kerala’s favorite irresistible cookies…
This is one cookie my mom used to make, it always turned out so perfect and we all devoured it right away and finished it in just one sitting. These cookies are found in all bakeries in Kerala and Tamil Nadu with different flavoring and toppings like pistachios, almonds, cashew nuts etc. These are truly melt into the mouth cookies.
Making these cookies in your kitchen is very easy and you only need a very few basic ingredients. The softened butter and powdered sugar are mixed well using a spatula, you don’t even need a mixer. All purpose flour is added to it and made into a dough. Freshly ground cardamom is used in this, it imparts an amazing aroma and flavour. Everything is great about this cookie, from the making to devouring.
I made these cookies yesterday, I don’t have any leftovers. It’s that irresistible. So, make sure you make a couple of batches if you have a big family or want to treat your guests.
- Unsalted Butter, softened- ½ cup or 1 stick
- Powdered Sugar- ½ cup (powder white granulated sugar in a blender)
- All purpose flour- 1 cup
- Baking powder- ¼ tsp
- Salt- ⅛ tsp
- Cardamom powder- ¼ tsp
- Soften the butter in a microwave or keep it outside on the countertop till softened.
- Powder white granulated sugar in a blender.
- Add softened butter and powdered sugar- add sugar little by little to the butter, using a spatula mix well for a few minutes till soft.
- Combine together all purpose flour, baking powder, salt and cardamom powder.
- Add the flour mix to the combined butter-sugar little by little and keep combining using the spatula.
- Once combined, knead the dough using your hand. Knead well for a few minutes.
- Wrap the dough in a plastic wrap and keep aside for 20 minutes.
- Preheat oven to 300 F or 150 C.
- After 20 minutes, make small balls out of the dough without any cracks (keep rolling between the palm of your hands till the surface turns smooth) and place them on a baking sheet lined with parchment paper.
- Place in the oven on the middle rack and bake for 25 minutes. After 25 minutes, if it's too soft you can bake for another 5 more minutes. Do not let it turn brown, it should be white in color, bottom side should be golden in color.
- Remove from the oven and let cool down for 10 minutes- this step is very important as after it cools down the cookies will set well.
- These cookies won't turn too hard, it will be soft and it will just melt into your mouth.