Comforting and healthy soup…
I think I am getting used to -20 degrees C freezing weather. This year’s winter has been horrendous and it can’t get any worse. We had tons of snow piled up everywhere and it looks like a frozen tundra. It’s big time I need to get a pair of ice skates so that I can skate to places rather than worrying about my car skidding and getting stuck in the snow.
So this winter I have been making a variety of soups that can make me feel cozy and warm. I literally dare to add any kind of ingredients into my soup. Soups help me to use up all the leftover veggies/beans in the refrigerator.
Last weekend, I wanted to finish the black eyes peas that had been sitting in my pantry. And yes I made a soup out of it and used up all the peas. This is in deed a very healthy and hearty soup.
- Black eyed peas- 1 cup
- Carrot, diced-1
- Garlic, chopped- 1 clove
- Ginger, chopped- 1 inch chopped
- Onion, diced-1
- Tomato, chopped-1
- Chili powder or cayenne- ¾ tsp
- Ground cumin- ½ tsp
- Bay leaf-1
- Dried basil- 1 tsp
- Dried oregano- 1 tsp
- Chicken stock, low-sodium- 1 cup
- Water- 3 cups
- Ground pepper- ¼ tsp
- Cilantro- 2 handful
- Salt- to taste
- In a pressure cooker or in a dutch oven, add all the above mentioned ingredients.
- Cook till the black eyed peas has turned tender.
- If using pressure cooker cook till 3 to 4 whistles.
- After the mixture has cooled down a bit, discard the bay leaf and puree the mixture in a blender or using a hand blender.
- Return to the pot, add water if needed to thin down the soup.
- Taste and add salt/ground pepper if needed.
- Garnish with chopped cilantro.
- Serve in a soup bowl along with crackers.