Include bitter gourd in your diet to benefit from it, it’s packed with all amazing nutrients…
Bitter gourd or bitter melon is the most bitter vegetable, a lot of dishes is made out of it and is a popular vegetable in India. Bitter gourd stir fry, bitter gourd fry and bitter gourd in yogurt/coconut are some of the popular South Indian dishes.
Despite being bitter, I enjoy all the South Indian bitter gourd dishes. There are a few ways to reduce the bitterness: add salt to the chopped bitter gourd and squeeze the liquid out of it and rinse under running water. Adding jaggery or brown sugar while cooking helps too.
In this dish, I stir fried the bitter gourd till brown along with grated coconut and finally added yogurt to it. Turned out great, it’s slightly bitter. This is for someone like me who enjoys the slight bitter taste of bitter gourd, it’s an amazing taste.
- Bitter Gourd or Bitter melon, chopped- 3
- Salt- ½ tsp
- Oil- 1½ tbsp
- Mustard seeds- ½ tsp
- Dried red chilies- 2
- Curry leaves- 1 sprig
- Onions, sliced- 2
- Water- ½ cup, to cook bitter gourd
- Chili powder- 1 tsp
- Turmeric powder- ¼ tsp
- Coconut, grated- ½ cup
- Jaggery or Brown sugar- 1 tbsp (or palm sugar)
- Salt- ½ tsp or as required
- Yogurt, beaten- 1 cup
- Chop the bitter gourd really small.
- Place the chopped bitter gourd in a strainer, add ½ tsp salt. Combine well squeezing the liquid from the bitter gourd. Let rest for 10 minutes.
- Rinse under running water, this will reduce the bitter taste.
- Place a pan over medium heat.
- Add oil, let oil turn hot.
- Add mustard seeds, let it splutter.
- Add dried red chilies and curry leaves, saute for a few seconds.
- Add sliced onions, season with salt.
- Saute and cook till onions turn golden.
- Add chopped and rinsed bitter gourd. Combine well.
- Cook for a few minutes. Add ½ cup water and cook covered till they turn soft.
- Add chili powder and turmeric powder, combine well and cook covered for a few minutes.
- Add grated coconut, stir fry till the mixture turns slightly browned.
- Add jaggery or brown sugar or palm sugar, combine well.
- Add beaten yogurt, combine well.
- Add salt to taste, cook for 2 to 3 minutes.
- Remove the pan from the heat, keep covered for sometime.
- Serve as a side dish along with rice or roti.