Shredded Beetroot and red lentils cooked together in a yogurt gravy…
I usually make Kerala style thoran or stir fry with beetroot and coconut. The other day, I made something different by adding red lentils and yogurt to the beetroot. I loved the addition of red lentils in this dish and I let the lentils remain slightly crispy rather than making it mushy. The bite of slightly crispy lentils was amazing and the yogurt gave it a slightly tart taste. This vibrant dish not only makes a perfect side dish but a healthy one too it’s packed with nutrients and vitamins.
Cooking Video- with some modification without adding yogurt
- Oil- 2 tbsp
- Mustard seeds- 1 tsp
- Whole Red dry chilies- 2
- Curry leaves- 1 sprig
- Onion, chopped- 1
- Beetroot, shredded- 3
- Turmeric powder- ⅛ tsp
- Chili powder- ¾ tsp
- Coriander powder-1½ tsp
- Salt- ½ tsp
- Red lentil- ¾ cup
- Water ¾ cup
- Yogurt, beaten-1/4 cup
- Place a saucepan over medium heat, add oil, let oil turn hot.
- Add mustard seeds, let it splutter.
- Add dried whole red chilies and curry leaves, saute for a few seconds.
- Add chopped onion, season with salt. Saute till translucent.
- Add shredded beetroot, cook covered for a few minutes till raw smell of beetroot goes away and has almost cooked.
- Add chili powder, turmeric powder, coriander powder and salt. Combine well.
- Add red lentil, combine well.
- Add water and cook covered till lentil has turned slightly soft- do not overcook the lentils, let it be slightly crispy.
- Finally, add beaten yogurt, combine well and cook for 2 minutes.
- Taste and add more salt if required.
- This can be served as a side dish along with rice or roti.