Macaroni stir fried with peppers and asian sauces and seasonings, quick fix lunch or dinner…
On week days, it’s all about quick fix meals. Some turns out really good and obviously the recipe gets into my blog. Others are not really a recipe, I throw whatever that’s in my pantry and fridge and turns out to be a meal that can fill my stomach.
The other day, I had some leftover macaroni. I first wanted to make a cold salad out of it. That day, I had all kinds of peppers in my fridge, so that kind of tempted me to make a colorful Asian style stir fry. Also, I was out of meat, so I made it vegetarian and this colorful Asian Macaroni stir fry didn’t fail to satisfy us.
If you prefer, you could even add chicken or ground beef to this stir fry.
- Whole wheat or white Macaroni, cooked in water- 1 pack
- Vegetable oil- 1 tbsp
- Garlic, chopped- 2 cloves
- Onion, sliced thin- 1
- Red pepper, julienned- 1
- Orange pepper, julienned- 1
- Yellow pepper, julienned- 1
- Soy sauce- 3 tbsp
- Hoisin sauce- 3 tbsp
- Rice Vinegar- 1 tbsp
- Sambal Oelek or chili paste- 1 tsp ( or add chili powder or cayenne powder for spice)
- Green onions, chopped- 2 stalks
- Cilantro, chopped- 2 handfuls
- Sesame seeds- 1 tbsp
- Sesame oil- 1 tsp
- Place a pot filled ¾ th with water over medium heat, season with salt and let the water come to a boil. Add the macaroni and cook for a few minutes till it turns tender. Drain the water and the keep aside the cooked macaroni.
- Place a wok over medium heat, add oil. When the oil turns hot, add garlic and saute till golden.
- Add onion and saute till golden in color.
- Add all the peppers, stir fry over medium hight heat till they turn slightly tender.
- Add soy sauce, hoisin sauce, sambal oelek and rice vinegar, combine well and stir fry for a couple of minutes.
- Add the cooked macaroni, combine well and stir fry.
- Add green onions and cilantro, stir fry.
- Finally, add sesame seeds and sesame oil. Stir fry over high heat for a minute.
- Remove the wok from the heat.
- Serve in bowls and enjoy.