Finger licking appetizer with Asian seasonings: Asian style chicken poppers…
I’ve had chicken poppers as an appetizer at a few restaurants and the flavor I like the most is with Asian seasonings. The other day, I tried making chicken poppers in my kitchen and I used soy sauce as the base for the sauce. In fact, you could add any kind of sauce to coat the fried chicken poppers. Barbecue sauce, seasoned tomato sauce, buffalo sauce etc etc. You have so many options to make this dish delicious.
- Chicken breasts, boneless cubed- 2
- Salt- a few pinches
- Ground pepper- ¼ tsp
- Chili powder- ½ tsp
- All purpose flour- 1 cup
- Beaten eggs- 2
- Oil- for deep frying
- Soy sauce, low sodium- ¾ cup
- Hot sauce- 1 tbsp
- Tomato Ketchup- 1 tbsp
- Honey- 1 tsp
- Green onions, chopped- 2 tbsp
- Cilantro, chopped- 2 tbsp
- Sesame Seeds- 2 tsp
- Cut the boneless chicken breasts into 1 inch cubes.
- In a bowl combine the cubed chicken along with salt, ground pepper and chili powder, keep aside for 5 minutes.
- Have flour and beaten egg ready on 2 separate bowls.
- Heat a frying pan over medium heat, add enough oil for frying and let oil turn hot.
- Dip the chicken in flour and coat well, dip in egg and again in flour.
- Add to the oil without crowding and fry till golden in color.
- Transfer to a kitchen paper towel.
- Heat a non-stick cooking pan over medium heat, add soy sauce, hot sauce, ketchup, honey, green onions and cilantro, combine well and let cook for a minute.
- Add the fried chicken and combine well in the sauce till the sauce has coated well on the chicken.
- Add sesame seeds and cook for a minute.
- Remove the pan from the heat.
- Serve the chicken poppers in a bowl and enjoy.
You could coat the chicken poppers with any kind of store bought sauce- barbecue sauce, piri piri sauce etc.